Lions acquire LB Peterson from Seahawks (AP)

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Jwill1919, Mar 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Peterson has made 5 pro bowls and redding none. Peterson is simply the better player.

I honestly don't see how a decent 295 lb guy is protecting the backers there. Redding is no AH. Even a bad d-linemen will use up one blocker.

My guess is that the lions use quite a few draft picks the next 2 years on defense including the d-line. Might take michael johnson in rd 2.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Cory Redding signed a 7yr 48mil deal, Julian Peterson signed a 7yr 54mil deal. So they may be on the hook for more.:yes:

3. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

Redding is just a tad undersized to be playing NT in a 3-4,i think hes right around 290-295 something like that. Good pick up for the Lions though,now they just need to get some mooses to free up the LB's...

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Agreed, JPeterson is an excellent LB. But those Lions LBs might have had good tackle numbers because over the last 2-3 years, they had Shaun Rodgers and Cory Redding keeping them clean, it may be a lot different this year.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

When your run D is TERRIBLE...tackle #'s are meaningless! This move is odd for Detroit. When rebuilding, you don't spend commodities on 30 yr old players...you get cheaper and get draft picks. Guess you can cross Aaron Curry off your list of potential #1 overall.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Huh? Rogers didn't play for the lions this year. How is redding, a robaire smith caliber defensive linemen keeping blockers off the linebackers?

Again even a crappy linemen will require one blocker.

I don't assume that every player on the lions defense is a pile of crap. If they are good at any position it was probably linebacker with lenon and simms and now they have added a stud in peterson.

Frankly i'm not impressed with some of the imput here. Gunther cunningham is the DC and i'm sure he has a plan. it seems that plan is to use a 3-4.

I don't consider cory redding to be much better than tony brown who frankly had better numbers this year. Redding had one 8 sack season but has been average since.

This notion that redding is some stud eating up 3-4 blockers at a time is lame. Just not true.

7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

If Cory Redding is a poor man's Tony Brown, then when he was lined up next to Shaun Rogers, he had 8 sacks.......I'd say that makes him a very rich man's Tony Brown. Imagine what kind of numbers Tony Brown would've had if he didn't have Big Al next to him all year, similar to Redding's numbers this year maybe??

IF Cunningham builds a 3-4 I understand completely, read my very first post of this thread. But what if they stick to a 4-3? To give up your best young DLinemen as a rebuilding team for an OLB who turns 31 this summer is a bit questionable to me.

Agree to disagree. Julian Peterson costs more money per year, is older and they also gave up a 5th rounder to get him. Redding is a good DLineman, hard to find a good young DLinemen that isn't already on your team, and he helps them by building the team from the Lines up! Crap, they could've kept Redding, drafted Curry #1, then had two total STUD LBs in Simms and Curry in their early 20s and kept their own 5th round pick, makes more sense to me.:grrr:

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Where did i say redding was a poor man's tony brown? I said he was barely better.

The 8 sack season for redding was similar to odom's 8 sacks for us. A one time thing. He has not even come close before or since.

To me this is like comparing keith bulluck to robaire smith or john thornton when he was a titan. Who is more valuable? Is there really any debate?

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I might agree with you if Redding played DE, had KVB on one side and Big Al in the middle. Other than that, for a DT to get 8 sacks is very rare and a huge accomplishment.

No matter how many Pro-bowls Peterson went to, Seattle was putting to much money and stock into their LBs, when they should've been building their Dline up in front. This helps make that move. After all, what good are your LBs if your DLine sucks?

10. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Shaun Rogers was also in Detroit in 2007 and Redding had just 1 sack (after having his 8 sack season and getting the biggest DT contract in the league at the time the year before)

Redding is only 2 years younger than Peterson and not nearly the impact player Peterson is. He is also under 300lbs, so Schwartz may be looking for more bulk on his D-Line (they recently signed Grady Jackson as well)

I still think Detroit use their first pick on an O-Linemen and their #20 pick on a DT like Peria Jerry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar