Live Earth Concert

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

They were wrong before...

What the hell is different now?

The continued rapid cooling of the earth since WWII is in accord with the increase in global air pollution associated with industrialization, mechanization, urbanization and exploding population. -- Reid Bryson, "Global Ecology; Readings towards a rational strategy for Man", (1971)

The battle to feed humanity is over. In the 1970s, the world will undergo famines. Hundreds of millions of people are going to starve to death in spite of any crash programs embarked upon now. Population control is the only answer -- Paul Ehrlich - The Population Bomb (1968)

I would take even money that England will not exist in the year 2000 -- Paul Ehrlich in (1969)

In ten years all important animal life in the sea will be extinct. Large areas of coastline will have to be evacuated because of the stench of dead fish. -- Paul Ehrlich, Earth Day (1970)

Before 1985, mankind will enter a genuine age of scarcity . . . in which the accessible supplies of many key minerals will be facing depletion -- Paul Ehrlich in (1976)

This [cooling] trend will reduce agricultural productivity for the rest of the century -- Peter Gwynne, Newsweek 1976

There are ominous signs that the earth's weather patterns have begun to change dramatically and that these changes may portend a drastic decline in food production - with serious political implications for just about every nation on earth. The drop in food production could begin quite soon... The evidence in support of these predictions has now begun to accumulate so massively that meteorologist are hard-pressed to keep up with it. -- Newsweek, April 28, (1975)

This cooling has already killed hundreds of thousands of people. If it continues and no strong action is taken, it will cause world famine, world chaos and world war, and this could all come about before the year 2000. -- Lowell Ponte "The Cooling", 1976

If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder by the year 2000...This is about twice what it would take to put us in an ice age. -- Kenneth E.F. Watt on air pollution and global cooling, Earth Day (1970)

What did yogi berra say? Deja vu all over again?

2. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

when you typed

"are you a vegan"

i misread and thought you said

"are you a virgin?"

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Amusing. Why can't people understand things without taking them to extremes? It doesn't matter if animals produce harmful gasses. The simple point is: They're harmful gasses, just as the ones we could reduce.
    Wanting to help solve a problem doesn't mean you can completely solve it. But, some like alabamapride or whatever can't just be ok with that. It's easier to just doubt it and go about living the same way I guess, ignoring what could be done.

4. DCtitan49

DCtitan49 Guest

:truedat:

your 100% right....:yes:

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gloat..

No i doubt the motives behind this thing. This type of sham has been tried before and proven to be just that a sham. People want to influence economic and public policy by telling us new york will be under water in 25 years and of course they have been telling us this for about 17-18 years already.

Paul erlich wrote his sham book "population bomb" in 1968. As late as 1990 he was still receiving accolades and awards for his work even though every single thing in that book is wrong! This man said that england would not exist in 2000!

As far as people living healthier more enviro friendly lives why would i be against that? You want to stop eating meat, walk more drive less and recycle more i'm all for it. But please do not tell me that the difference between catastrophe or not is whether joe blow next door makes major change in his lifestyle because of we have to rely on that we are screwed.

From the worldwide community point of view three of the worlds largest nations could give a rats butt about c02 or global warming. So while we are knocking ourselves out trying to save the planet russia, china and india will be full speed ahead in the other direction.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

This is amusing..

That's been my point all along. My problem with the extreme position of the global warming people. Why shouldn't i assume that those who are telling me new york, miami, mobile etc will be under water in 25 years will use extreme public and economic tactics to prevent that? And why wouldn't ANY thinking person assume that those tactics will effect your freedoms?

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gloat and DC..

Let me guess you both eat meat right? Lots of meat?

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

You do realize that was more or less a summer blockbuster type movie, not some sort of documentary right?

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

dg...

The movie was making a political statement. A political statement that would fall on deaf ears if it wasn't extreme.

The director of the movie himself said this....
    What al gore said about the movie....""The Day After Tomorrow presents us with a great opportunity to talk about the scientific realities of climate change. Millions of people will be coming out of theaters on Memorial Day weekend asking the question, 'Could this really happen?' I think we need to answer that question."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar