Live Earth Concert

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by titanbuoy, Jul 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Like you just said, it was an extreme example. Many times in art, the absurd is used to illustrate a more practical point, which was the case in this movie. Just because there was a message behind it, does not mean it was not made as a popcorn flick, lets be real here. If your argument against humans impacting global warming comes down to cows farting and the "the day after tomorrow" had a political message, then your argument is pretty weak. Go read pentagon, or NASA reports to get your information if you dont trust Al Gore, they are much more reliable then a popcorn flick I promise ya.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

dg...

If all you see in all the posts and links i have provided is one movie and cow farts then you are blind.

You want to tell me the earth is warmer by about 1/3 of a degree than it was 120 years ago i won't argue. You want to tell me that we have had something to do with that i won't argue. My objection is this moronic notion that castastrophe is just around the corner and radical changes need to be made, and those changes are politically motivated big time! That is what i object to. and that is at the heart of this issue.

It's not amazing to you that the united nations reports that 18% of c02 is from the production of meat but those who claim to care so much about this still eat meat like everyone else? Either they are liars or they really don't believe in their cause.

What is the pro warming argument on this thread? I don't see facts, statistics, links all i see is gosh dude we have a problem and rolltide isn't hip enough to get with the program. Wow deep.

I have PROVEN that decades ago the same things went on and the idiots were wrong! I have proven that.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

So, because someone was wrong about something in the 70s, we should just write global warming off too? That is more or less the crux of your argument, and it is nothing more than a logical fallacy. And Im not going to sit here and write a dissertation on global warming. But you an easily go read NASA or Pentagon reports (hardly what I would consider partisan sources especially since the pentagon report came out when Rumsfield was still in power). I understand a lot of people dont trust Gore because of politics, but there are plenty of other sources that say more or less the same thing he says.

And yes, there are certainly people hypocritical with regards to the environment. But again, just because people are hypocrites, does not mean Global warming isnt real.

ANd I dont think most people are saying catastrophe is just around the corner. Most scientists are saying we are approaching a point where there will be no turning back, but I dont think anyone is predicting that NYC will be underwater in the next decade or so. Most reports predict that type of thing more towards the end of the century.

There is a link for ya. There is a link in that article to a PDF version of the 2004 pentagon report, written partly by Peter Schwartz, who used to be a high official with shell oil.

http://www.grist.org/news/muck/2004/02/25/pentagoners/

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

dg...

No but we should be very skeptical. The population bomb and global cooling people were driven by a political and economic agenda and their science was garbage but at the time they insisted it was hardcore and even won nobel prizes for that crap.

Since the point man for the entire global warming debate is himself a politician and former presidential candidate why wouldn't i think this is tied to a particular political agenda? Politicos are driving this issue not scientists. Which party he belongs to is of no concern to me either.

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I dont disagree we should be skeptical. And like I said, I can understand the distrust in Gore because of his past profession. However, this goes well beyond Gore and there are many sources of a non political nature that agree with Gore's message.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What you eat matters..

http://www.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

I already brought up the issue about eating meat and how 18% of the co2 in our environment comes from the production of meat. If someone really cares about global warming you can't in good concious eat meat. But you also can't in good concious eat winter tomatoes either or bananas or drink coffee. Sorry but to consume those things means to increase pollution and those co2 gases. Why? Simple they have to be transported long distances to get to you. A true environmentalist would primarily eat only food products produced closest to where they live. . The above book by barbara kingsolver and family is just about that.

Barbara kingsolver and husband have been living in tucson arizona for 25 years and she was a best selling author. After 25 years there they moved back to where she was originally from in virginia near the kentucky line. One difference between the verdant middle south and arizona is that while nothing grows in arizona almost everything grows in the middle south. She talks about this, how feeding the million people in tucson means trucking products 1500 miles or more. Once they moved to virginia they made a point of trying to eat as much home grown food as possible. That meant growing vegetables as close to year round as possible and even raising turkey and chickens.

Shouldn't we all try to do a little more of this? I'm an environmentalist. I want cleaner air and water and frankly less dependence on other countries for energy. Certainly we should all try to eat better and healthier. The process of having a garden even if a small one means healthy work in planting and maintaining it. We happen to have a huge garden and right now more tomatoes and corn than we can eat. A couple of weeks ago it was cabbages and summer squash. My father in law just pulled up 20 new potatoes with my son.

Last year i planted just 6 beauregard(alabama-purple skin) sweet potato transplants in some rich soft soil and the result was 24 of them, ex-large! The flavor was incredible.

In this lethargic world of ours where people sit around and fart and get fat maybe gardening is part of the answer to a healthier cleaner country. Regardless of what you think about global warming..

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't get it..

When i was a kid we had world book encyclopedias and i was always looking up geographical information about this state or that city. Of course i also read what i could about my own state at the time, illinois. One fact about illinois that stuck in my brain was the highest recorded temp ever in ill. It was in east st louis in 1954 and the temp was 117 degrees. So i decided to look it up online and see if that record still stood because after all in this boiling planet of ours such records must be falling all over the place. Well, nope the record still stands. After 53 years of summers and suffocating green house gases and 8 brutal oppressive uncaring presidential terms by the elephant party amazingly that record still stands. The hottest day in ill history was 1954 not 2006 or 7.

I decided to do a little more research about the highest recorded temps in my hometown of rockford ill. This is what i found..

Rank Value Ending Date
    1 104.0 8/16/1988
    2 103.0 7/27/1955
    3 102.0 8/17/1988, 7/15/1988, 7/26/1955, 9/1/1953
    7 101.0 8/1/1988, 6/25/1988, 6/20/1988, 9/2/1953

Huh? 4 of the highest 10 days were in the 1950s and 6 were in the summer of 1988. I remember that summer it was hot but what do these numbers say about this lame theory that we are progressively getting hotter? A weather trend doesn't automatically mean a change in the climate..

8. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

Oh crap! I live at 20' above mean sea level. The oceans will rise 25'! I'm screwed!

A bunch of whooy! I don't know why everyone gets so worked up over this. Don't you know that the world will be destroyed by the Russian backed Iranians. Nuclear weapons that is the kind of global warming we should be really concerned about!

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sea levels..

What are the sea levels now as opposed to 1980 or 1960? Have they risen at all? All those ice bergs melting should have at the very least done some damage already. Certainly coastal real estate is down on an inflation adjusted basis. Right? Just the opposite. Go to orange beach alabama where a damn mobile home can sell for almost a million dollars.

Cajuntitan is now the unoffical jake delhomne of this message board!:ha: Crawfish etoufee for everyone!

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Aren't the ice caps melting in one area but freezing more in another?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar