Locker: Less option routes under Loggains

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Sound bite by sound bite, we’re starting to get a little more sense of the subtle changes the Titans’ offense may employ under new coordinator Dowell Loggains, who replaced Chris Palmer earlier this week.

On Wednesday, quarterback Jake Locker indicated that – at least at some point in the near future — there would likely be fewer option routes under Loggains than there were with Palmer.

Option routes require wide receivers to make a read on defensive coverage, and then to determine whether to run the play’s primary route or a secondary route based on that coverage. Problems can arise if the quarterback doesn’t make the same read as the receiver.

“It’s just a different style,” Locker said of Loggains versus Palmer. “I think as you know, coach Palmer was more of the run and shoot, and there were a lot of different options. That’s not as much a part of what coach Loggains does offensively, so I think there are some differences there.”

Locker was then asked if the option routes were too constraining at times.

“It was something I felt we were able to play with some confidence with,” Locker said. (But) there was something that wasn’t working.

“At the end of the day, we were the ones out on the field playing and executing. It’s up to us to make whatever plays were called work, and we weren’t able to find ways to do that this year. No matter who’s calling the plays, that has to be a focus for us.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

Good. Nothing is more frustrating than a 3rd and important, our QB makes a confident throw, and the receiver has taken the route the other direction.

3. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Well, I would say it couldn't get much worse than it already is.

But we're the Titans.

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. GOFIGURETITANS

GOFIGURETITANS Pro Bowler

Confusing option routes for a young team that doesn't really know each others thought processes and tendencies? Cant imagine why that didn't work out.

• High Five High Five x 5
  5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

6. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

You can make sense when you want to. Bravo.

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe Palmer had more options per route than the past but Titans WRs/TEs have had option routes for as long as I can remember. I don't know of any team who doesn't use them.

If the Titans' receivers are struggling with just two options, then there are some serious issues the team needs to address this offseason.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

If it was THAT simple I don't think would be a problem. You are giving Palmer too much benefit and the team none.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Maybe. But in reading Locker's quote, it sounds as if they are removing all options in some plays to make it easier for the QB/Receiver to be on the same page.

It also sounds like Locker puts a lot of the blame on the players not executing Palmer's plays.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

are you saying our receivers are dumb:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar