Locker Pre-season Game 1 Review

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans23, Aug 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I also went back and reviewed all of Locker's play, and the one thing I noticed is he likes to connect on hitch routes, or anything crossing the middle coming towards him. Kenny Britt and Nate Washington did a good job of being there for Locker, he was eying them down, but they did their part and made the plays.

Locker didn't look good in my eyes, but he didn't look bad either. Most importantly he finished the game healthy.

2. JCBRAVE

He was worse than his state sheet says, all he did was check down, but his guys got the 1st downs for him, so he did alright. He's figured out 4-yards is better than no yards or a turnover, so he's improving.

3. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Well what I gathered from the post was he seemed to take what the defense was giving him, really as a QB that's all you can do. Seems like his reads were good, and as long as the defense doesn't' feel like covering backs out of the backfield, I'm more than happy if Jake dumps off the ball for 10+ yard gains.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. JCBRAVE

Yea he did manage the game well, but I wasn't impressed. Then again I never am impressed the first week of preseason.

The plays we called were very vanilla, no roll outs, no options, no pistol, we did however run a screen successfully for the first time in years, thats encouraging.

5. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Too be fair, I think I've seen posts from you saying that you'd be happy if Locker just manages the game and let's the rest of the team perform ;). Might have been someone else though lol.

It was a plain game, but I expected that. I liked that he didn't turn the ball over, we moved it a bit, and he was making relatively smart plays. He can definitely improve no question, but he didn't make any costly mistakes and didn't get hurt which is encouraging.

6. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Locker wasn't spectacular by any means, but honestly I liked what I saw from him / the offense.

Why? Because what the Titans did last night is EXACTLY what I was screaming at Palmer to do every single game last year (until he got canned). Let Jake get into a rhythm. Let him take what the D gives him, and keep the game manageable. Last year we had WAY too many 3rd and longs, forcing Locker to have to constantly make great plays just to keep drives alive, and basically eliminating the threat of a run on those downs ... No easy task for any QB. Now, there were many reasons for those 3rd and longs (bad OL causing sacks and not allowing the run game to work on early downs, penalites, etc.) but there really isn't a reason to have Locker go out there gun slinging early in the game, that also killed drives for us last year.

If we can take those short 'dump off' passes for now, that will allow drives to stay alive and give Locker some more opportunities to make those 'big plays'. But there is no reason to force them. And of course the running game will be the main focal point this year, so last night was promising for that as well.

All in all I was happy because we were keeping drives alive. We didn't see much of that last year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

And with all the playmakers we have on the offense, we just need to get the ball into their hands and let them do what they do best ... make plays

8. JCBRAVE

actually you are correct I have said that. But he really just managed this game, Id like to see more from him.

I know he'll improve in the coming weeks when we start calling his favorite plays, but august 8th is too soon to show your hand. Gotta wait a few weeks to really I have an idea of what Jake Locker's going to look like in 2013

9. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

It was nice too!

10. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I agree wholeheartedly with Scarecrow. We'd all love our QB to have 100%, never throw bad passes or picks but that just ain't gonna happen. I think most of us feel like Steve was a great QB. Even in his best years he was still throwing bad passes, picks at some of the worst times and not making good reads.

Jake is on par and this is still preseason afterall. Is he gonna throw bad passes and make bad decisions? Yes of course but now is the time to do that and learn to limit them. I believe he's got what it takes to get us where we want to be. And he's got a big advantage of Steve and Vince, weapons at every position.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar