Locker should get the call

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TheSureThing, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Yea. He's a rookie. You get ups and downs. Personally I see the ups more positively than the downs. Basically you said "hass would never have had the chance to make the plays locker did and we would have lost... But stone the rookie for being better but still coming up short"

So which is it?

2. lateknight

lateknight Master Opinionist

We would not have been in that position if not for Locker. It's time to let him start. Unfortunately, Munchak will not recognize this until it is too late. Oh well, maybe next year he'll start and we'll get a new offensive coordinator ( one can always dream)

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

I didn’t say Hass ‘would not get us there’ simply I wouldn’t bet on it. I don’t know man, that’s the thing. I remember somewhere along the mid-way of the season, Hass flipped like 180 degrees. I don’t care about stats here, I been watching every second of every game (for years now).

In the beginning I was saying something like ‘Wow, I cant believe we actually have a QB’. I was generally impressed with his abilities and decision making. He was making really tough passes with perfect timing and pretty good accuracy; most importantly he was playing well on 3rd down and the red zone. Now he can’t complete ish, seemingly ironically on first down or in the RZ.

As for Lock, all I know is that after that hard work, when the middle is completely open, you gotta hit that receiver somewhere in front of him (this is for the 2nd to last play), away from the defender. It was an easy play, much easier than some of those other passes he’s been doing. The last play was tough, but he still shoulda got something off.

I ain’t ‘stonein Lock, I am analyzing his play. I’m a pretty fair guy in general, and if I were to choose our starter, I might even go with the Rook. But that still doesn’t mean I shouldn’t recognize when he makes a mistake.

People say that Lock would struggle against the Colts, however, I actually would rather have someone that can run through the ‘Rush.’ Sure he might get sacked a bit, but he’ll pick up those yards I think easier than Matt.

With Matt, now he’s been game planned for and maybe even figured out. Since he can’t hit seemingly anybody with a medium/long pass, D’s have taken away his short reads and curl routes and that’s y he is struggling, hard. He needs to open up his game.

Back to Lock, we have never seen him start a game, or protect a lead, or even play against a D in ‘non-prevent’ mode. And the one time he did at the goal line, he messed up, not once, but twice. I said I was fair, but also critical.

Titan staff is saying we have two capable QBs, but tbh, we don’t. ‘Suck it’ all you want, but it’s the truth as of right now. I don't intend to bash Lock, and i still think (REALLY) he is the QB of the future and even next year if he steps up during camp.

But, my standard of QB play has gone way up in the past couple of years with the way some other guys have been slinging it.

4. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I agree that Locker is the better QB right now. People keep making him out to be more turnover prone but I don't think I've seen him do it yet. Watching the games he's clearly able to read the defense and make good decisions on where to put it. He's had some slips (wild throw or bad decision on where to throw) but for the most part, he's been very consistent. There's several rookies out of this class who are doing well. Maybe the class as a whole was underrated.

However, I don't think Hasselbeck is that much of a letdown. He can put up points, but a lot of his balls get batted and he's not nearly as elusive as Locker. Also his deep ball game is lacking which shortens the field for safeties. I'm hoping he can get us into the playoffs. The experience the coaching staff and players could get would be worth it alone. Who knows what he could do similar to his run in Seattle last year.

If I was the coach, I'd start Locker. But I'm just a fan so I'm not going to throw Munchak under the bus either. He's taking the safe route. Let the two guys battle it out in the off-season I guess. At least we'll know we have two good quarterbacks instead of none heading into next season. If handled right it could make us much more competitive.

5. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

Naw I don't do the it sucks button unless something really stupid is said lol.

Anyways. I agree with you, seems like hass has been figured out. We all know his deep ball is bad. Really lofty and just doesnt give much chance to be caught. Of course since britt went down everything went south for hass also. Cast has a lot to do with the show.

I analyzed every throw locker made against the saints, and he does read the defense well, makes calls and protections on the line, picks up the blitz read like a champ. His faults are went he gets in a hurry and doesn't set his feet right. Over strides a bit and throws high balls. It's all fixable. I'm not worried about stats or completion percentage. Looking at the play over all says much more than numbers.

Locker took what was given, made good reads, made some outstanding passes and also made some less than stellar decisions. Personally I can't blame him for still lacking that polish... In 2 years I will either be completely sold on locker, (like I am now) or watching tape on the next qb that I think we should draft...

The slinging aspect you talked about hasnt really been from rookies tho... Bradford came in and threw it pretty well his first year, stafford has been a porcelain doll. Sanchez still struggles and overstrides leading to high balls. Newton has been up and down, but he's a rare athlete and has a lot of gifted abilities helping him. Dolton has thrived off having one of the best wrs in the game. Gabbert... Whatever. McCoy plays small ball. Tebow is a running back.

The qbs that have been throwing the ball at a prolific level have been in the NFL for a little while. Rogers... Sat on the bench, now he is viewed as top 5. Manning... Remember his rookie year? Brees, didn't show up til he became a saint. Brady... Rivers...

What about roethlisburger... Not a "prolific" passer but how's that worked out for him?

6. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I agree with most of the first part, but disagree with the end. Locker has played against a regular defense this year. The Saints blitzed Locker several times and he was making quick reads and getting the ball out of his hand. He even tried to throw the ball on the play that got reviewed for a fumble. We've got a tough QB who will stand in the pocket and take a hit.

Locker could be as good as any of the QB's in the league with his athleticism and decision making. That's what makes Rodgers such a dangerous weapon.

While I can understand the coaching decision, we'd be a better team if Locker was our QB. Hass has had some dropped INT's as well.

7. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

New Orleans didnt run a prevent defense. Locker should start and hasslebeck wont finish the game and its costing us a roster spot today

8. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Hasselbeck will probably get hurt again today lol

9. Jessica

Jessica Starter

hilarious

10. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Classic Titans.

Start the inferior players and leave the playmakers on the bench.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar