Loggains working to improve Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

When Dowell Loggains took over as Titans offensive coordinator late in 2012, he inherited a mess. He did his best to right the ship, though things were far from pretty down the stretch.

Mike Munchak decided earlier this offseason he wanted to keep the 32-year-old Loggains in charge of the offense.

“The same pressure I put on the players every day, just like those guys, I need to grow as a coach every day and I need to make sure I get better and not make the same mistakes,’’ Loggains said. “I put a lot of pressure on myself to do that, but the No. 1 thing is we are putting guys in a position to succeed.”

Loggains, who replaced Chris Palmer in November, was a quarterbacks coach this time last year. He was promoted to the job in 2010 after a stint as a quality control coach. Coordinator comes with greater demands, of course. A year ago, when the Titans scored two touchdowns or fewer in three of five games when he served as coordinator, Loggains acknowledged he made mistakes.

“There were things and situations I learned from,’’ he said. “I learn stuff every day.”

And while Loggains will be the guy calling the shots, the fate of the offense will rest in the hands of quarterback Jake Locker. Loggains said Locker has been solid so far in camp. More than anything, he doesn’t want Locker to feel like he has to do too much in his second year as the starter.

“We are talented enough around him now, he just needs to drive the bus and get the ball to our playmakers,’’ Loggains said. “He doesn’t have to do anything on his own – he needs to use his legs when he has an opportunity to. He needs to be OK checking the ball down and not make bad decisions. We can be successful in the offense the way we are going to run the ball if we don’t turn it over throwing it.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Shake 'n bake

3. lilkhmerkid4u

lilkhmerkid4u Somebody Saveeeeeee Meee!

What Kind of offense are we going to run anyways? Is he more of a run,run,incomplete pass, punt guy like fisher? or are we going to be like the saints?

4. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Loggains needs Locker and Locker needs a good offensive coordinator.

I want to have faith in Loggains, but I need to see more from him to make my conclusion. He better give it all he has, or else he will be on the next flight out along with Munchak.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. BCTitans

BCTitans Starter

If I'm not mistaken Loggains spent a lot of his time under Dinger, so I'd say that's kind of the directions he's wanting to go. I think we'll be a lot more physical this year than last.

I would hate to see us try to run an offense like New Orleans. About the only thing that Jake Locker has in common with Drew Brees is the color of their skin.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

Munch, for two years, wanted a pass first offense, now I'm reading that he wants a run first offense.....I really hope Loggains is the genius they claim him to be because it really is going to be up to him and Locker to make this thing work.

7. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I'm hoping they transition from a run heavy offense after things get going. I'm guessing they want to take some of the pressure off of Locker and focus on the advantage the offensive line should have against most teams. I'm expecting a lot of runs, play actions, and rollouts.

Anybody have any observations from camp?

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

He wanted a pass first offense until he saw what he had as a QB..

9. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Headed to St. Louis to join fishface most likely.

10. Zappa71

Zappa71 MYAAAH!

Well, we'll sink or swim with what we have. Hopefully we stay afloat! If not it'll be house cleaning time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar