Looks Like Young Might Ride The Short Bus

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ChitownTitan, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Ben Troupe scored low, and it took him a year or so before starting to shine. But he's not a QB.

The plan is to give Young some time before giving him the reigns.
    But if it was your money, would you be willing to risk MILLIONS on someone who scored a 6?

2. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

I want our potential QB (whoever that is) to do well on the Wonderlic, but I wonder how that equates, for instance, to reading a disguised defense? A DC would have a field day with a QB from whom he can hide what the defense is doing. The teams seriously considering taking Young, Leinart, or Cutler will have them break down film. I realize they don't do that at game speed, but that should help them test his football intelligence.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Per a Tennessean article this morning, the NFL does not release these test scores. So it has to be an leak of some kind which won't be confirmed anytime soon.

Take a peek at some past QBs scores:
    http://www.unc.edu/~mirabile/Wonderlic.htm

Drew Henson got a 42. Akili Smith 37. Dan Marino 15.

Though a six is a concern, it needs to be taken in context. You can bet that Young will be interviewed at depth in a future Baptist Sports Park visit and the Titans will get a solid idea whether or not he'll be able to grasp an NFL offense.

4. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

Looking at that list, there is no link to the test score and NFL success. All it tells you is Young would not be a good scientist and Einstein wouldn't be a good QB. That said, I did not see too many single digit scores. Chances are Young will take it again once or twice (after some practice tests) and his score will end up around 15. His agent should be shot for not having him prepared the first time though!

5. None of those guys got a 6. Young's score was just 40% of what McNair and Marino scored, and yet they were considered low for a QB.

6. Titanpride

Titanpride Insider

Whats makes this even more funny... I think you get a point for filling out your name. Yeah, he can read pro style defenses... I'm sure of it.

7. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

A valid IQ test is based on the Bell Curve. Scores are reported as Standard Scores, which are based on a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15…meaning that 68% of the population has an IQ between 85 and 115. Any test that reports numbers correct is not an IQ test because numbers correct does not tell you how a person performed when compared to his peers. An IQ test is not an equal-interval test, meaning that a score of 100 is not exactly twice as good as a score of 50. The Wonderlic purports to be a test of problem solving ability, which is only one small avenue of IQ. It reports number correct, meaning that it is not norm-referenced and thus cannot be an IQ test. Of course, it does not purport to be an IQ test, so therefore, it is not falsely representing itself. As you said "is a general test of problem solving ability that many consider to be the best measure of intelligence." They are using a test of problem solving ability as an INDICATER of intelligence, when according to most experts it is only a piece of intelligence. They are not selling it as an IQ test. They are writing it so that those that don't know much about iq tests can take it that way- thats called marketing. But if you also notice those that do know about iq tests can also read it and they are still not falsely representing the product- thats called clever marketing.

Examples of IQ tests are Woodcock Johnson III, Standord-Binet V, Weschler Adult Intelligenct Scale, Kaufman Assessment Battery for Children-2nd Edition- All of which have to be given by trained professionals.

Now the rest about averages, cultural differences, and norming, I really dont feel like taking the time to explain it to Tide. There is too much venom in your posts. Get a book on Psychometrics. :rolleyes:

If anyone elso has questions, of course I don't mind.

8. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

The NFL might not, but obviously the scores get out, hence your link.

9. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Good explanation of statistical normal curves and IQ tests. Still, this test is measured to look at IQ. Looking at the test myself, and taking it, it doesn't seem like an aptitude test at all.

10. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

It may not be aptitude, reading the description and looking at it deeper this morning. It is looking at problem solving ability. Thats also not iq, which is my point. But you're right it probably isnt aptitude. (I have no problem acknowleding mistakes. :winker: )

I would still say its not really designed to measure intelligence. Its just used as a quick indicator of intelligence. To me thats an important difference, because its full of flaws.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar