LP Field to get sod from GA Farm

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Broken Record, Jul 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

You don't need the grass to grow in December,
    but you need grass with a good root system that won't peel off easily.
    If the field was maintained properly, we would have grass instead of mud in December.

I've seen soccer fields that are seeded with bermuda in the summer and rye in the winter that maintain a good turf in the winter months.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Do you see those same fields being used by 300 pound players with steel spikes running up and down on it when it may be rain soaked? How about two 60-minute games played in a three-day timeframe mainly between the hash marks (where the problem occurs)?

In December, the grass won't recover because it is dormant. Check out the fairways of your favorite golf course about the same time. Same deal.

LP Field looks great until mid-December. I see two or three games a year where it is an issue. The only solution I see is to limit the use of the field by TSU and the Music City Bowl or go with FieldTurf and that ain't gonna happen.

3. Hoffa

No to the 300 pounders, yes to 2 sixty minute (actually 90 minute) games in 2 days.
    There is grass that is not totally dormant in the winter, and with a strong root system would hold up better than what they now have at LP.

4. TitanJeff

Just curious but how many natural NFL fields are there outdoors in this region or further north that doesn't experience this issue?

5. Hoffa

I would have no idea.

I know there are fields that are not as bad as ours, and it could be better.

In a normal year we don't have a lot of hard freezes until after December, and there are varieties of seed that would still be very viable during the NFL season.
    If they would work year round establishing a network of grasses, they could produce a thick turf that would hold up better than what we see.

I'm only guessing, but they probably don't do as much as they could in the off season, then as the middle gets ripped up during the season, they just lay down new sod that doesn't have enough time to lay down the roots it needs to withstand the traffic.
    It would take a year round effort, and some bucks, but they could have a better field than what they've had.

6. TitanJeff

Betcha you have a fiiiiiiiiine yard over at the Hoffa Hacienda, eh? :brow:

7. Hoffa

:ha:
    Well, I do what I can, I have about 2 inches of top soil on top of solid limestone. Hard to establish much of a root system on that mess.
    They had to use a jackhammer to plant the posts for my privacy fence.

I had a really nice lawn in Phoenix, in a desert! It was tiff-sod, and I had a underground irrigation system on a timer. I mowed it with a tiff-mower, which cuts like those push mowers you've seen (in a circular over motion, only it's motorized) and it's like cutting just the top of the blades with scissors. That way the roots are not damaged.
    I would wear steel spiked golf shoes every time I mowed to help aerate it, and I de-thatched it twice a year.

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The grass doesn't have to grow. It's already there. They need to just do away with the stuff if it's that hard to maintain. Seems if the problems were so simple as "grass doesn't grow in december" then they would've just went with some sort of artificial turf from the get-go. But, maybe they didn't think it through. Pretty bad if they didn't lol.

9. TitanJeff

:suspect:

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Do you lose your grass during the winter at your place?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar