LP Field

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Mar 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I read an article in the Tennessean mid way through last years season about improvements to the grounds around LP Field. I didn't bring it up then because there were so many other issues on field that were more exciting than the grounds around LP Field. Through all of my logic, I think now would be a good time to bring this up.
    The article mentioned 'grassing' the entire parking lot(s) to make them more tailgating friendly. (I can't remember who wrote it. Does anyone else remember this story?) But any how, I thought to myself, "That's an awful idea. What would these lots look like after a good rain, or heaven forbid, snow?". The idea, or thought, isn't a good one IMO. If you want to improve the lots to make them more tailgating friendly;
    Re-align the parking spaces so that there are parking spaces against the grass areas where we park to tailgate rather than parking half way on grass, half on asphalt.
    The smaller grass areas (islands) thoughout the lots are 'humped' and hard to set up on. Level these out and you could almost double the tailgating space on grass.
    After TSU uses our stadium parking lots for tailgating, have them bring in some backhoes, dumptrucks and bulldozers to clean up after themselve's!
    Clean out the Port-A-Pots. These things sit out in the sun cooking along with all the poop that's been in there since the last game. And get some that have doors that operate. Toilet paper would be a good option.
    Does anyone think that grassing these areas would be a good idea? They said "it would improve our tailgating pleasure and make room for more tailgaters". I've seen some areas around LP Field that USED to be grassed. If this is the way that they plan to maintain these areas.....no thanks Bud.

2. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Maybe they should be more concerned with the grass inside the actual stadium. That grass turns into a dump half way through the season which will lead to a season ending injury sooner or later. We're lucky VY didn't get injured because of the field last season.

3. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

I'm for the grass but with improved maintenance.. The sooner Nashville removes that damn auto graveyard the better. It sure is "lovely" view with all those cars piled up and walking thru that mess is another story altogether - bring your boots...

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

They need to build a mamoth garage somewhere with instantaneous access to the interstate ramps. There should be freight elevators for people to bring their gear down from the massive cube of the parking decks. Then the grass stuff can become practicle when people tote their gear. For a permium there should be a small amount of actual parking on the ground adjacent to the picnic areas... We don't need to be amonst a sea of little passenger cars to have a good time. They should build two parking garages if need be, whatever it takes. The parking fee shall be 10 dollars. That's all. No passes. No subscriptions. Just parking for about 30,000 vehicles. Also there should be a special place for oversize vans, boxtrucks, and RV's... or shortbuses... or other custom specialty vehicles. The two-tone paint jobs are a symbol of pride with all their flags and emblems. Very cool set, need to take care of them... still, all RV's should get hookups as part of the deal.

ps- about the parking garage.... there will be state of the art "new" method to move people and their gear... toting your stuff to set up on a giant lawn wont be bad at all... just thinking here...

5. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

Sounds amazing but i doubt its feasible..
    30,000cars x 8games x $10= $2.4mil..

something like what you described would probably cost atleast $60mil considering its about 5 or 6 stories high and 4 times the size of LP.

So it would take em about 24 years to get their money back.
    I can't see anyone investing in that.

But its a bad *** idea. I like it!!

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I love it. Increase the parking fee to $25 or $30 and I think you've got a deal that might work. Heck, people pay almost that to park at the foot of the pedestrian bridge now.

When opposing fans came to TN and saw the gameday experience, they'd be green with envy.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

You could fund it with dunk-a-colt. $10 for a throw.

Seriously, I doubt the NFL supports tailgaiting, and probably would rather kill it then provide funding. They want the sales inside the stadium. Not on the outside. Grass supports lingering.

If you are going to spend money. A zoo. That's what I would do. Then you would have aesthethic parking, a place to sit around and drink, walk around, spend your money, and go to the game. And the elephants and giraffe could watch the game from the open end of the new stadium. Admission fee included in price of the ticket.

8. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Fan Fare could be expanded into a more Riverbend (Chattanooga music festival) like experience. Maybe there are some blocks that need redevelopment in the area :brow: and pehaps some new condominiums could boost the demand for year around secured parking. Getting in and out of the area is a debacle. Something should be done. Ten blocks up into the east side I've seen :greedy: expensive reinvestment into the area... Lets not forget that there could be a move to field turf and then there might be some tsu parking revenues... but even a modest, conventional parking garage could do alot to alleviate the conjestion... I just wish they would do a traffic study to determine how as many cars as possible could get on that interstate that passes by the Ramada at peak traffic times. I walk from across the river in order to have easier interstate access. I get free parking and I must travel light but at least I don't sit in gridlock for an hour after the game. I'm passing through the 'boro before many east side parkers even make it onto the ramp. I've parked over there before. I'm speaking from experience... maybe I could run on surface streets away from the area but 4 out of 5 cars want on that interstate so don't knock a guy for doing what would otherwise seem logical. Interstates should be able to absorb traffic. I'm a driver, not a cockroach... I don't need to scurry like the old man has cracked open the pantry door... just because I live in a cracker shanty doesn't mean it says Ritz on the door... now I'm just being silly, aren't I? :clown: no parking garage for you!

9. ONUV

ONUV Starter

i was watching a sports council meeting on channel 3 awhile back and steve underwood was adamant about not lessening the tailgating experience because our fans really enjoy it.

10. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

With the grass areas that they suggested, I think they meant that we would accually park on the grass! It would probably look nice until after that first game.
    I wish I had kept the article.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar