LW an option at #2

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Apr 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Mariota, Winston, Mettenberger, Rivers... what do they have in common? None will win a Superbowl with the Titans in 2015.

The long road to rebuild is best done in the trenches. I'll make the exception that LBs are as valuable in a 3-4 as well. Initial picks should set up the long rebuild, and LW fits perfectly for that.

We'd like to trade down and get more players as our team has a talent deficit. But I wouldn't give up the #2 overall for less than 3 first rounders (or equivalent such as 2 first rounders and a marquee player, or 2 first rounders and 2 second rounders, etc etc).

But if we can't trade down, there is nothing wrong with taking the best defensive player on the board. Particularly this one that can be paired with Casey and cause real problems for offenses for the next half decade to decade.

Next year, after we are pretty abysmal again this year (which is the historic case for teams after a 2 win season), we will possibly be looking at a new coach/GM. LW can play in a 4-3 or 3-4, so again, this is good.

Hackenberg, Cook, and Cardale are all likely first round QBs next year. Rivers will likely be a free agent. Brock Osweiler is tall with a good arm and the prototypical size/style QB that Whis would like, and also will be a free agent. RG3 is in the last year of his contract and could be a free agent. Eli could become a free agent if the Giants decide to rebuild.

I don't think Mett will be the answer, but there are other options in the future. And regardless, we aren't going far this year. Worst thing we could do is trade the #2 straight up for Phillip Rivers, unless you just want to be mediocre and never win a Superbowl.

LW is an option at #2.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
    • Boring Boring x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Valuable point

3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Even better point. I can't believe the Titans would actually consider taking Rivers for the #2 pick, especially if #17 isn't in play. I would be fine with it if we still got #17, but giving up the #2 pick in the draft, where you could get a player to be a cornerstone of your franchise for 10+ years, vs an aging QB with a bad back who has 4-5 years left at the most? That would be the height of stupidity.

Another point I hope Ruston, Whis & Co. consider. Even WITH a good franchise QB, this team is still probably 2 years from making the playoffs (and that's IF they make the right decisions in the draft and FA, something they have yet to demonstrate they can do). That means your window to win a Superbowl with Rivers, goes from 4-5 years, to 2-3 years. He was never able to make it to the Superbowl with those great teams in SD, why do they think it would be different here?

I would take the biggest stud in this draft and build around him. Whether that's Williams, Mariota, Cooper, Beasley, or Fowler. Find out the guy you love, who will be someone you build around and do it.

4. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

This really is a crappy year to have the #2 pick. Our choices are a 3-4 DE (which IMO is absurd at#2 overall), 2 QBs riddled with question marks, or reach for someone. I still just can't see a trade happening.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Washington and Jets are in better positions imo

6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I hear what you're saying. But I don't understand why, if they liked Cooper for instance, why taking him at #2 (if no trade was available) would be considered a "reach" but taking him at #6 isn't. It's just 4 slots. Calvin Johnson was taken at #2 overall. I'm not saying Cooper is Johnson, but it's not like it's never been done.

7. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I totally agree with you. I just meant it'd probably be viewed as a reach around the league and people around here would be pissing and moaning about it as well.

I just don't see how we can not go offense at #2. If it's not QB then get Mett a legit weapon. At least stack the deck as much in his favor as possible. I know everyone is all gaga over LW but I'm gonna be pretty disappointed if that's the pick. I will certainly hope for the best. But in all likelihood a rookie 3-4 DE isn't going to come in and transform this defense the way everyone is talking. There's no guarantee anyone we select at 2 is going to transform their side of the ball but a QB or WR has a much greater chance IMO.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. rekirts

rekirts Starter

How can teams behind us be in a better position? We have ability to pick every single player they can pick...

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

But it's a great year to have the early 2nd and 3rd round picks imo.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. tnfan47

tnfan47 Let's Get It

I'm sure RW will get some calls for our 2nd round pick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar