Mac questions

Discussion in 'Gear' started by maximus, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maximus

maximus Starter

iMovie isn't working
    Everytime I click on it, it tells me that the program quit unexpectedly?
    Any suggestions

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

good ol' macs

3. maximus

maximus Starter

They run a whole lot better than my PC that gave me the BSOD thursday. My sister's PC gets the BSOD quite often.
    It always seems to revive itself from the dead

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

wow, i havent gotten the BSOD in like 10 years.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

iMovie is a quirky little program
    it's a RAM hog (much like iPhoto)

what version osx do you have?
    and are you updated ?
    how much RAM do you have installed

on this little iBook G4 i use when I travel, i sometimes get Safari or VLC to "quit unexpectedly", but generally only when I'm doing other stuff. I attribute it to a serious lack of RAM

6. maximus

maximus Starter

1 GB of RAM
    OSX 10.5 (just installed), I need to get the update

I love the GUI. It's taking me some time to get used to it, but overall, its a good experience.

7. You may need to update iMovie if you just installed Leopard. The old version might not work without an update. Check Software Update.

And if that doesn't fix it, you could try re-installing iLife and then running Software Update again.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

That would be my guess. It probably needs to be updated or reinstalled.

Sometimes, you can trash the prefs (keep a backup just in case) as they can become corrupt and everything will work fine once again.

9. Yeah, the iMovie prefs would be my next bet...

10. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

For those that haven't been paying attention, the new iMovie is a total POS.

So is the new iPhoto, which also crashed every time I opened it.

I tried to warn everyone here...apparently one slipped through the cracks.

I spent two full evenings straightening out the iphoto mess.

The Problem:
    1-Open iPhoto. New version found 500 photos. Would I like to import them? "Yes"
    2-iPhoto crashes during import.
    3- Try again. New version found 1000 photos, would I like to import? "yes"
    4-I Photo crashes during import. Retry, and there's 1500 photos available. Etc. Repeat.

So you see, every time it crashed, it duplicated my source library of image files. I had to destroy the iPhoto library folder, go through every one of my image files, delete all repeat copies, return them to correctly dated folders or make new named event folders.

I tried again. tried import. Crashed. Duped. But this time, immediately found the dupe folder and trashed it.

I finally made it work. Decline on import, then open Finder window to "pictures", Drag and drop small numbers of images or folders to iPhoto manually.

There's still one big hangup though: it's library still doesn't reference a source file any more, so if you want to mail/post a photo, you have to copy it to your desktop and mail it from there, then throw the copy in the trash. Stupid beyond comprehension.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar