Mailbag: Too early for Jags fans to give up

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky

Apologies for the length of time that's passed since I've done a mailbag. You chime in, I'll do my best to answer you with an email or a post, maybe both.

Jeff from parts unknown writes: Okay Paul, I usually write about the fans that are about to jump off the bridge due to a lost, but now I am one of them. Our team is 0-2, our QB has gone back to his turnover prone self which kept him as a back-up for 6yrs and our defense can't stop the run or pass and couldnt tackle a defender if he was running with both shoes untied. Is there anything positive that you see in the Jags that would make me want to believe that A) they can beat the colts, and B) that I shouldnt just start reading Mel Kiper and Todd Mcshay's Big Board for the top OL in next years draft since from the looks of it we will probably have a Top 10 or Top 5 pick.

Paul Kuharsky: Maybe it's payback for things falling right last year and David Garrard's crazy TD:INT ratio.

To me, all the problems stem from the O-line injuries. Maybe Brad Meester comes back and things can settle down, maybe they are too much to overcome. The defense is middle of the pack. Hasn't been horrible, but has missed on two crucial third downs.

I'd certainly suggest you wait a few more weeks before giving up hope.

Mad Mike in Houston writes: Paul: Our schedule out of the gate was hard enough, now this makes it much harder with no bye week. The roof is missing 5 of 9 sections and it will be very hard for the Stadium to be ready for the first weekend in October. This will really effect things to a further extent. there is still no power in most of Houston including our house> Hopefully, we will have power in the next few days. Thanks.......MM

Paul Kuharsky: Good luck getting your power back. I hope you and everybody in Houston get up and running soon.

Certainly enduring the hurricane and the damage to Reliant makes things tougher on the Texans. Baltimore was the most winnable of their first five, I thought. But perhaps the team rallies to give you and other fans a top-flight distraction. It worked that way for the Saints post-Katrina, right?

Jeff from parts unknown writes: Is it even slightly possible that you could hide your Titan-favoritism?

Paul Kuharsky: Happy to. Might you please offer examples of it? If the mailbag overflows with Titans questions, I answer them. I picked the Titans ahead of Jacksonville for second in the division. I said Cortland Finnegan would be the division's breakout player. Two weeks in, do those qualify as favoritism or foresight? I can point you to some people with the Titans who will tell you that, because I am more familiar with them, they actually get tougher treatment.

Steve in Hendersonville, TN, writes: I know it is early, and the combined record of the Titans' 2 opponents is 0-4, but with the quick start, is this a team that can resume its perch atop the AFC South? I have to think that Tennessee's defense is close to the best, and they are running the ball well. Kerry Collins played a game with Steve McNair stats (14-21-0 / 128 yeds / 1 TD / 0 int), Johnson and White got lots of carries, and no turnovers.

Paul Kuharsky: Resume its perch? Tennessee won the division as currently constructed all of once, all the way back in 2002.

A Minnesota win over Indy sure would have helped the cause. But the Titans are off to a good start, and the early schedule looks favorable. I still think it will be difficult to win the division if the Colts get healthy. But it should be fun to watch and see if they can.

Corey from parts unknown writes: I know its early in the season, but is Tennessee the team to beat in the AFC South?

Paul Kuharsky: If I had to choose a team to beat in the AFC South, I'd still pick the Colts.

More...

2. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Man, that Colts win hurt us. We had a divisional title for us not to blow if they didn;t come back against the Vikes. But they did, and we're only a game up.

3. A Fightin'Titan

A Fightin'Titan Starter

Yeah I really really hope the Jags can somehow pull it off.

4. moose4now

moose4now Starter

So do I.

But, we still have to hold up our end of the bargain and beat Houston.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

"Jeff from parts unknown writes: Is it even slightly possible that you could hide your Titan-favoritism?"

TitanJeff? :brow:

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Naw. My parts are well-known.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

We don't get the AFC South title until we can knock it off the Colts. A 2-0 sweep will get us there, almost nothing else will. We can't sit back and hope that the other teams screw up, that's what got the Browns out of the playoffs last season. We have to really bring it within the division this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar