Main Difference Between VY/Locker And Mariota is Intelligence

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First off, the triple option in the spread is a SAFER play for Mariota as the defense can't just force Mariota to keep it and hit him all game. The triple option here starts with the zone read but IF Mariota keeps it, he then reads the defender guarding one of the outside wr (the slot cb or rolled up S)...if that player takes Mariota, he laterals to the outside wr. basically puts a player in a one on one position which means getting the ball to playmakers in space with little defensive help.

Based on what Mariota said after practice today, they definitely have installed the Inside Zone read already. And I'm sure a big part of those fumbles attributed to Mariota are due to fumbles between the QB and RB running the Mesh. Mariota said they had that problem today and it is something they will work on everyday. I don't like this if we are gonna use 4 different backs as you are asking for trouble. Maybe two backs...a power guy and a quick guy. We need to keep fumbles from this to a minimum!

So I understand your lanky comment but ask yourself, how does Russell Wilson almost never get hit and yet he runs more than a lot of rb's? Locker got hurt running because he thinks he's a rb and tried to run people over...leading with his throwing shoulder but also got obliterated a lot in the pocket. And sometimes he got hurt without being touched on a simple drop back.

Mariota is very different though I would agree that we don't want him to get beat up. As I said previously, if we run an offense similar to Seattles but with much more firepower at TE and WR, we will be in good shape!

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The rb's will be more of a run to daylight option once they get used to it because once defenses realize they have a major problem, they cheat...make Mariota hand it off and slide everyone to the side the rb is supposed to run to...that's where the rb will see how the defense is aligned or moves to overplay where he's supposed to run and shoot thru the C gap on the other side with the DE out wide to prevent the QB from taking it.

3. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

sounds great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar