Manny Pacquiao has no case.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Deuce Wayne, Jun 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

James Toney can't win any fight. lol Boxing or MMA.

You ever wonder how ex NFL players and sh*t can just retire and jump in to MMA as a hobby? They're not even career long fighters.

None do that in boxing.

2. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

Unless you've been trained in boxing, martial arts, etc., then you're probably going to get your butt kicked by anyone that has even novice training in regards to fighting.

That said....

I enjoy MMA far more than boxing.

Boxers are better at boxing, MMA fighters are better at everything else.

Yes, some MMA matches are pretty dang boring, but the same can be said about plenty of boxing matches as well.

Junior Dos Santos is a good example of a solid boxer in MMA. He is the current heavyweight champion in the UFC.

I'd be willing to bet that Anderson Silva could probably beat most if not all mid tier boxers and maybe even some of the top tiers ones as well.

3. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

Boxers are king of boxing.

MMA fighters are Jacks of all trades.

In a straight boxing match, a boxer will beat a MMA fighter.

In an MMA fight, a boxer wouldn't stand a chance.

I'd give a boxer a slight edge in a kick boxing match, but not by much.

Anyway, most former athletes that jump into MMA don't make it to the top of their division anyway.

Brendan Schaub is a decent example. Former NFL player turned fighter. Sort of a gatekeeper with a suspect chin. He'll never contend for a belt just like he wouldn't in boxing, either.

4. Deuce Wayne

Right. Agreed.

If they'd make MMA more stand-up oriented, I could watch it more often.

Outside of the welters, it just bores me. But the same can be said for boxing too though with divisions.

Like to see pure speed/strength go to work. Any time a fight ends in a submission I think it's a fail.

5. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Atleast the UFC is run by Jews and not the mafia.

6. Deuce Wayne

Give it time. UFC seems more like WWE every passing day.

7. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

Unfortunately, the current rules that are in place sort of dictate that fighters just grind out a decision. Winning = higher income. There are bonuses for exciting fights and finishes, but when a fighter is at the top of the food chain, it doesn't behoove him to fight excitingly since that would risk him losing the most potential income.

Most of the fighters at Bantam and Feather usually make for interesting stand up fights as they have cardio for days.

I personally enjoy a good ground battle, but only when the fighters are actually fighting. There is nothing more boring than watching one guy lay on another guy trying to ride out a UD win because the guy on the bottom isn't strong enough to escape. I especially enjoy seeing a good submission victory.

Jon Jones is a good example of some exciting ground and pound fighting. Frank Mir, when he isn't getting knocked out is an excellent MMA fighter to watch in regards to serious submission skills.

But, I agree, the ole lay and pray technique is rather boring and is off putting to new viewers.

As I'm sure you can agree that it is very boring seeing two boxers trade a couple of jabs and then clinch up for a breather.

Until the state athletic commissions or the fight organizations themselves step it up to start finding ways to punish that behavior, it will continue to happen.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. That Guy

That Guy Rookie

And just to add, I do enjoy the stand up aspect of MMA more than the ground game. I just appreciate all areas of the sport.

9. Deuce Wayne

Indeed.

Though I do like submissions like flying armbars. Those are a work of art sometimes.

10. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

UFC seems pretty easy... if you aren't as good of a fighter as your opponent, just somehow manipulate your way into a neutral position and roll around on each other until the bell rings. Hopefully you get the decision at the end. UFC is pretty boring. I have respect for their work out regiments, they are legit... but the "Octagon fighting" is weak, boring and watered down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar