Many Starting Jobs to be Decided at Training Camp

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PitBull

PitBull Bred to Brawl

i was agreeing with everything you wrote until i read the final sentence.
    Fish, Schwartz and maybe even Bud are in love with LT. I guess Lamont's 'people skills' are much advanced than his 'playing skills'.

The only way i don't see him playing is if he's traded, injured or dead. I hope Reinfeldt puts an end to the fascination our coaches have in LT.

2. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Not to mention Griffin's blocked kicks.

3. Dr.Awkward

Dr.Awkward Camp Fodder

I never get tired of seeing these highlight videos :)

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

5. Young54

Young54 Starter

picture perfect form???:suspect: i dont know about that. looks to me like he puts his head down and doesn’t always wrap up. I’m hoping his tackling is something he learns to improve as a pro cuz tackles like that wont cut it in the NFL.

6. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

i like the title of this article/thread. Thank you Captain Obvious!

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Anyone else bothered by this..?

Thompson will count $2.4M against the cap. We just signed scott for about $2M a year. Griffin makes mid first rd money. All three not starting? If fowler isn't our starting MLB we might have the most expensive special teams cover unit in the league.

Knowing what we know now scott looks like wasted money. Lowry who will count only 481k against the cap this year is our odds on favorite to start at safety.

8. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Well, the cap is going up. Those contracts aren't so ridiculous, except maybe the Scott contract. I'm just not sold on him at all.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I agree that those contracts are not totally ridiculous but then why when we could have kept Henry and Bennett for about twice as much as a guy like Thompson why was everyone seemingly against the move?

Henry was due a 8 mil bonus with basically minimal salaries through the next three years. Bennett might have been willing to stay for something similar before he hit the open market. It is OK to pay scrubs 2+ mil a year but don't pay a guy like Henry what he deserves? Also note that in Henry's case we used a 2nd round pick on a RB (lost pick and whatever his salary ends up being) and we had to sign Chris Brown to nearly 2 mil per year for one year.
    I won't even mention the list of DEs we could have taken in the second round if we didn't waste a pick on Henry. On Bennett's side of the deal we used 3 draft picks to try and fill that void. 3 draft picks we could have used on a player like 'Tank' Tyler (a beast who is inmovable at DT) or Charles Johnson (a 270 pound guy who runs a sub 4.7 40). Ray McDonald and Quinn Pitcock (picked by the Colts so watch this guy become a player) were also available in the 3rd round. Virtually everyone on our defensive line is going to be a free agent next year and we didn't even bother addressing the DE position until we took Jacob Ford who looks to be strictly a pass rusher.
    We paid a cost by not keeping Bennett and Henry any way you look at it and next year it isn't like the salaries of Fa is going to drop. Plan on Haynesworth, Starks, Laboy, Odom, and Long all being let go because we "don't want to over pay". Brown will also be a FA and if LW and Henry don't get their act together I can already see us paying big bucks for a RB in FA or drafting another. But remember, Travis Henry is easy to replace.....right.

10. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

Don't underestimate Antonio Johnson.

However, I agree with you. I was stunned by our second round pick. I've tried to get behind it, but I'm baffled that we didn't pick a DL in the second. There were lots of good players still on the board...even in the third! I just didn't get it at all. Aside from Griffin, the first day just completely shocked me. But I trust that the coaches know what they are doing.

The second day was much better, from my perspective (again, I don't know as much as they do...just saying based on what I would have done). Davis, Ford, Harris, Johnson...all great day two picks. I think all four guys will help our team. Ford needs to add some weight, but he's explosive on passing downs. Johnson is the guy to keep an eye on though. He's raw and probably won't help much at all this season. But after that, he should be able to contribute.

Still....the DL makes me nervous. We better hope Starks and Odom/Laboy step up and that we get them signed to contracts once they do. Otherwise, we are in trouble on that line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar