Mariota vs. Leonard Williams vs. Trade

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Mar 15, 2015.

?

Choose one

Poll closed Mar 22, 2015.
  1. Trade Down

24.6%
  2. Leonard Williams

53.6%
  3. Marcus Mariota

21.7%
  4. Draft other (post player in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

PK tweeted this:

"Protect Mettenberger better. Give him weapons and a defense. If he's not the guy, guess what? Next guy needs all that too. "

I'm in the minority, but I do think Mariota can be a successful NFL QB. But, I don't think it's going to come easy, he has alot to learn and change - but he has the tools to do so. If we can fix RT (probably LG also, maybe center), add another offensive playmaker, and have our defense come together than Mettenberger has all the tools to be successful. If he doesn't, next year Rivers is a free agent (and SD may be moving to LA), so there's a potential he'd actually leave. There's also a solid QB crop next year with: Cardale Jones (OSU), Christian Hackenberger (Penn St), Connor Cook (Mich St), Kevin Hogan (Stanford), Jonathan Goff (Cal), & Dak Prescott (Miss St). A lot can change with these guys depending on how they do next year, but looks like next year could be a decent QB crop.

If I was drafting, i'd take Williams or Cooper at #2 (if we stay), but would really be looking to trade down. However, IF we decide to go Mariota, i'll get behind the decision. Can't blame a team for trying to find a franchise QB. Build our defense, fix the OL, add some more weapons in the draft, if Mett fails, we'll be a QB away from competing - and will have many options in the '16 offseason.

#181 xpmar9x, Mar 25, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. vengeance0909

vengeance0909 Starter

After reading that article it seemed like Whiz is falling for mariota, I'm praying its a smokescreen so we can trade out but damn if we pick him I think ill be sour until he proves he can actually play NFL ball

3. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I understand PK's tweet and line of thinking and used to lean in that direction myself. But with Mettenberger, he hasn't proven he can stay healthy either. The last thing we need is to give him the keys to the car, and him get hurt 3 or 4 games in and have another wasted season with CBJ starting the rest of the year.

Most teams in the NFL believe you build "around" the QB, not build your team then get a QB.

EDIT: I also agree with you that next year's QB class is going to be really good. More pocket passers next year than mobile guys. I like Carr, Hackenburg, and the kid from USC Cody Kessler.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Take a look at how Mett got hurt last season, that shouldn't happen going forwards. We ran what 11 runs in that game, the pass rushers were pinning their ears back and going full force after Mett. Sacked like 7 or 8 times as a result of no run game. We also were on our last legs depth wise, by that point our top linemen were mostly all on IR.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Totally forgot about Kessler, he has potential. Right now there's almost 8 QBs with potential 1st round grades... but that will likely fall to 3-4 by 2016.

Mettenberger hasn't been healthy since we drafted him. Hopefully an improved OL would keep him upright and uninjured. That's a lot to hope for, I know.

This draft keeps getting more and more interesting.

6. Rudad

Rudad Starter

Lots to understand. If don't have franchise QB then need to get one. Is Mett the guy or is he injury prone ? Can Mariota be the guy? Plus lots of smokescreen going on too. Whiz talks about mariota yesterday and Lovie Smith talks about Winston, almost says same stuff, today. People talk like we saying lots of stuff about mariota if not going to take him, well if Winston goes to Tampa , we can pick MM or not. Doesn't matter . I am a firm believer you have to have that QB. Yes we need OL, we need receivers, better running game etc. etc. but winning teams have a good QB. Our decision is can Mett be that guy or not? That is the question. It will be talked about a talked about up until the draft. I like Mett. But not sure he stays healthy.

7. JCBRAVE

Mett is not injury prone, before injuring his shoulder he took well over 20 big shots throughout the year.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Rudad

Rudad Starter

And we did draft an OL last year for LT that was not a need. Was drafted for the future. Turned out to be a really good pick. With our GM, scouts, and coach, who knows what they do.

9. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I dunno. Two season ending injuries in his last 2 seasons? If he's not injury prone, he's getting close.

• High Five High Five x 2
  10. JCBRAVE

Brian Orakpo is injury prone, same injury over and over. VY was injury prone, same issue over and over.

Mett has had 2 separate injuries in the last 2 years, other than that whats he's had? Getting sucker punched at a bar, some phantom back issues that were used to drive his stock down? I dont believe he's injury prone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar