Mariota vs. Leonard Williams vs. Trade

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Alex1939, Mar 15, 2015.

?

Choose one

Poll closed Mar 22, 2015.
  1. Trade Down

24.6%
  2. Leonard Williams

53.6%
  3. Marcus Mariota

21.7%
  4. Draft other (post player in thread)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

They won the division in '11 and '12, tanked in '13, and was a tie-breaker away from the playoffs in '14 playing like 4 different QB's.

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

Like I said, in '11 and '12, they had a top 10 QB.

They didn't "tank" in 2013. They went into 2013 thinking they could contend for the division again. But without top QB play, they ended up being a terrible team ... maybe they threw away some games at the end when the season was a lost cause (but every team does that).

And again, they played in probably the worst Div in football in 2014, and still couldn't squeak into the playoffs ...

Let me put it this way. The Texans won 9 games last year. 6 of those 9 wins came against teams that will have a top 5 pick in the draft this year (Ten x 2, Jags x 2, Oak, Was).

JJ Watt is a great player no doubt. If we could redo the 2011 draft, no doubt he would be a top 3 pick.

However, he alone does not make the Texans a PO caliber team. They are still viewed as a team that is "just a QB away". I've never heard of a team being "just a DE away"

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Take a Chill Pill Take a Chill Pill x 1
  3. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

What I see JJ Watt do week in and week out makes Kendrick Lewis and DJ Swearinger able to keep playing in the NFL, JJ Watt's play is so out of the ordinary, of all the guys to pick on he's is without question the LAST player in football to say that about.

Without Watt that team is easily as bad as us. We're going to be in bad shape if they ever get a legit QB. Thats the reason so many fans want Leonard Williams in the draft. A game changing defensive lineman with adequate help behind him works in the NFL. Paired with a run game, its the safest way back to respectable football.

You win up front in the trenches and create havoc, you're half way home. Ndamuong Suh did this for the Lions, Justin Houston does it for the Chiefs, Aaron Donald does this for the Rams. Poor Aaron, so sad he fell to the Rams. Win those battles in the beginning of the play and you can be a winning team.

4. Thaddeus43

This is the EXACT reason I picked JJ Watt out to pick on ... It is because he is a once in a generation type of DE. He does make incredible plays week in and week out. He does make them a better team.

But even with all of that going for him, he still is not enough to make them a playoff team. That's my point.

So, even if LW became the same type of player that JJ Watt is(which would be more than we could hope for) the Titans are still no more than an average team, still looking for a QB.

So how did Watt help the Texans against the Colts this year? Last I checked the lost both games to the colts. Even with the BEST DE in the GAME, a legit QB still beat them.

LW is a great talent, but is he JJ Watt great? Probably not.

I 100% agree with you. Games are won and lost in the trenches. A great DL can hide a lot of flaws in the rest of your D ... But its not going to help our O get any more 1st downs or score anymore points.

A great QB can hide flaws in both the O and D.

Chiefs, Lions, Rams ... and how many of those teams were in the POs last year?

Just 1 ... and guess what they had under center? A franchise QB.

5. JCBRAVE

Ok its settled, we're drafting MM. See you all in May after the draft

6. Thaddeus43

Don't get me wrong. I like LW a lot as a prospect. He will instantly make this team better. And he is likely a 'safer' pick than MM.

I just guess I am willing to roll the dice for the QB.

7. JCBRAVE

Its a QB league, I think we're nuts not to.

Having 2 capable QB's isn't bad deal if MM is the pick and starts over Mett.

8. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

I agree with everything that @Titan43 is saying and I tend to lean drafting MM. But my hesitation is not in the argument of QB vs DL or defensive stud, its whether or not MM is THE QB that can have the effect he's describing. I just have my doubts if MM's skills will translate, that's all.

9. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Houston has a nasty defense, but no QB...or WR's.....They aren't going anywhere....I still think we go QB or trade back here...

10. JCBRAVE

People have been trying to spin the shotgun formation as a weakness, and MM not running more traditional formations does make you wonder how well he drops back, but on film he keeps his eyes down field. Thats a major plus in my book.

Also, how is being the smartest player on the field and knowing where open receivers will turn up a bad thing? MM should be the pick now, if Whiz is too dumb to adjust, oh well his loss, we'll have fun with MM with Coach Whoeverthe****

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar