Marques Colston?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by vslyke, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

According to The Times-Picayune, a contract extension is not expected for Marques Colston before training camp. If he is not extended, he will be an RFA next year. Assuming he makes to RFA, and assuming the Saints put a 1st and 3rd tender on him, would any of you want to trade away our 1st and 3rd next year for him?

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

colston is not worth a first and a third. i'd do it for a few WRs like steve smith, torry holt, randy moss, chad johnson, larry fitzgerald and reggie wayne, but that's it.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Considering how we've used our draft picks the last two seasons, I would have no problem trading a first and third away for a proven receiver.

4. vslyke

I disagree. Last year he had almost a 100 catches for 1200 yards and 11 TDs. In his 2nd year! He did not have a consistent running game to benefit from, or a consistent other recieving talent. Football Outsiders ranked him as the 5th most valuable WR. The 4 guys ahead of him were Moss, TO, Reggie Wayne, and Welker. He's pretty durable, having missed only 2 games in 2 years. He also has never been in any off the field trouble. His catching percent (same page as the other link) was 68%, which seems to be pretty high.

Unless our WRs prove that they can be the answer this year, I highly recommend going for Colston. He's worth a 1st, a 3rd, and a big contract. Colston and VY would be a terrific combination for years to come.

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

[​IMG]

this paper seems to suggest that it is just a matter of time before a deal is done and that there is practically no chance they let him get away. I would expect them to match any offer sheet.

7. Fry

exactly. who else is going to get the ball?

i think he gets a lot of balls thrown his way and most of them are short, as long as he catches them he's going to end up with some good numbers, but i don't think he's any more of an upgrade than some of the guys who got $55 mil+ this offseason.

i mean, his average per catch is 13.3. justin gage's is 13.9 and roydell williams' is 13.6.

meanwhile, the guys i mention before have 15(c. johnson), 14.7(holt), 15.8(moss) and 14.1(wayne). the only ones under 14 are steve smith and larry fitzgerald, both with inadequate QBs, but both have better averages than colston.

he and justin gage are the same guys. both are tall guys who can go up and get the ball high, but neither get good separation or have deep speed.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. reo

reo Starter

Hopefully by around this time next year we won't need another WR.

9. Fry

you get see how bad harper's ball skills are at 2:00
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-uTq252X3k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t-uTq252X3k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i'd say he reminds me most of keyshaun johnson. he's a tall guy with a big body and can go up and get the ball, but he's not special.

and did the buc's offense miraculously get better with the addition of johnson?

10. vslyke

He also got tons of double teams, because he was the only threat. Football Outsiders (same link as before) had him way better per play than guys like Chad Johnson, Housh, Fitz, Driver, and a whole bunch of other people. Not better than Berrian, who's only asset is good speed, or Stallworth, who also is only good for speed and is injury prone? Come now.
    I don't believe it. Most teams don't resign guys in the middle of the season.

Poison pill!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar