Marvin Harrison Cost The Colts The Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Dec 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

The crazy runs were always fun to watch but you have to account for his negative yardage runs. I do not think there is a coach in the league that would take Sanders in his prime over Tomlinson. LT is a one move to the line gets his yards and is thirsty for more. He improves his QB as a dump option and even when he runs the secondary can not cheat on him too much or he might just throw one over your head.

Nothing against Sanders the guy was a stud but consistent production is better then 70 yard run 4 (-3) yard runs, IMO. IE Chris Brown.

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Seeing as you apparently like girly men who would rather prance to the sideline than drop their shoulder for some additional yardage I can understand your man-crush on stinky. You like to watch men act like girls on the football field, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Stinky probably ran forward way more yards than Emmitt, too bad he ran backwards for thousands and thousands of yards and was a no show in the playoffs besides being a quitter.

Don't you got a Gayton "Kenny I need some lovin'" P-man secret decoder ring only - no timbs allowed - meeting to go to on your pay-per-view board.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

As a Bears fan, you had the misfortune of seeing him. But as a football fan, he was awesome. Same thing for me in basketball. As a Knicks fan I had the misfortune of seeing Jordan destroy the Knicks in the playoffs year after year...however, he was awesome to watch!

Payton was also one of THE greatest RB's of all time...no doubt. He was one of those guys that was not good, but GREAT at everything. He could fake you out, out run you, or run you over!

Gut

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Carrying his team?

LT might be the best back since Sanders...and although he had to suffer a couple of bad SD teams, he hasn't been hurting behind Brees 2 Pro Bowl caliber seasons with perhaps the best TE in the game. Plus, their OL is considerably improved and know they have a stud franchise QB and a stud OLB to bolster a very good D. Even without LT this would be a good team!

But since he does have a good team around him now, he's putting up some sick numbers!

Gut

5. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

Keep in mind, we're not even arguing who is better between LT and Barry, we're arguing that Barry Sanders was good at football. We've got an R-Tard on here that's calling him "stinky" (clever? no. witty? no. coherent? not at all.) and saying that he was the 2nd biggest choker in NFL history.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Well, you have to understand the player you have....the Lions didn't. Putting Sanders into a Run and Shoot offense was the BEST thing they could have done. First, it takes LB's off the field. Second, and more importantly...it creates SPACE. He didn't have a lot of negative yard plays til they went to a more normal offense when he then saw 8 and 9 man fronts and had to break 2-3 tackles just to get to the line of scrimmage. This was why the one or 2 plays a game when he broke/faked out 4-5 guys, he got 60-80s and would finish the game with 100-150 yards. But that's not Sanders' fault, he had little blocking and they had no other weapons that scared people out of overloading the box. With 4 WR's in the run and shoot, few people dared to overload the box with more than 6 (leaving 4 on 4 with the WR's and 1 FS) meaning barry only had 1 unblocked guy...but also had a lot of room to either side to do his damage.

Marshall Faulk was similar. He could really kill you out of 3 and 4 WR sets both with his running and catching cause he had a lot of space. When they also went to more of a traditional set with 2 TE's, he wasn't as successful.

Gut

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

[​IMG]

8. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

The difference is LT has made those players better. Brees has ONE probowl caliber season after 3 terrible season. The last of which LT accounted for 100 of Brees' 205 completion (nearly half), the two prior were all LT. Brees has had 3 - 15+ INT seasons and even in this miracle season looks to do the same.

Gates is supported by the over spying of LT by LBs. If the run game was less in SD, Gates would struggle. I am not saying he would not be good but his numbers would be no were near the numbers they are now.

The team can not bost a 1000 yard receiver or and have only had one WR pull in more then 70 rec since LT started and it was his rookie season.

You can not blame LT for going to an organization that actually strives to make the playoffs. Stud franchise QB is a stretch at this point in Rivers career. Half of there LBs are either suspended, served a suspension or are injured. I believe the total is at 4 right now.

He is a work horse and when they need LT in the clutch he steps up. You can not tell me that SD would be anywhere without LT ..... wait L Neal is in my office now I need to go. :ha:

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Come on...

LT caught 100 balls in 03, not 04-06. Brees has been awesome in '04 and '06 and both are certain Pro Bowl years. You can certainly make the case for or against his '05 season. Yes he threw 15 picks, but he still had a good year and was a top 10 QB. No one is arguing Brees was a bad QB before 04, but in the 3 good years Brees has had since, '05 is the only one where he's thrown 15 INT's (and he still had 24 TD passes that year). He still had a very good 89.2 QB rating that year and was only 2 TD passes and 1 INT off of what Tom Brady did. Not bad at all IMO. And considering Brees has only thrown 10 INT's this year through 13 games, why would you think he'll throw another 5 in the last 3 games? His current rate is LESS than 1 per game.

Gates is supported by the over-spying of LT? What exactly is over-spying? All LB's spy the RB no matter how good or bad they are. Even teams with bad RB's get good action on playaction passes. Why? Because LB's play run first/pass second...unless it's 3rd and a mile. Gates is more supported by being Gates and having a good QB get him the ball. Evidence of this is that in Gates' first year, LT ran wild and yet Gates didn't catch many balls. Suprisingly, when LT's numbers went DOWN in '04, Gates explosion coincided with Brees having a breakout year....not LT having a breakout year.

I'm confused when you say if the run game was less...Gates would struggle. But then you say you're NOT saying he wouldn't be good....? So which is it? He'd struggle (supporting your argument) or he'd still be good (supporting my argument)? I'd suggest that Gates would still be a dominant player. In fact, if you look back at Eddie George's only sub 1000 yard season (and a mere 3.0 ypc), it happened after a season in which he ran for 1500+ yds. Wycheck caught 10 less balls than the year before (EG's 1500 season) but for MORE yardage and the same number of TD's that he had the year before. He didn't suffer from EG's sub-par play.

McCardel caught what...70 balls for 900+ yards and 9 TD's? When you factor in 50+ going to LT and 80+ going to Gates, those are excellent numbers. It's not like their best WR caught 50 balls for 550 yds and 2 TD's. And Parker had good production one of those years too with about 750 yds having started only 2/3 of the season. Technically you're correct that no WR they had has 1000 yds...but they don't need that. I believe they have a top 10 offense...even without a TO at WR.

I don't 'blame' LT for being in a good organization...just pointing out the differences.

And if Rivers is not a stud for a first year starting QB, I don't know what is! There are only 2 regular starters at QB with better numbers (3 if you count Romo)...Palmer and Drew Brees (who's only leading the league). Rivers is actually outplaying Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Donovan McNabb. So yes, he deserves stud status. He also has a 3:1 TD to INT ratio and should finish the year with 20+ TD's, less than 10 INT's, 3000+ yds passing, 64-65% completion rate, 40 passes of 20+ yds, and a QB rating of 96+.

If that is not a stud, what do you call it???

As far as the defense is concerned, despite the injuries, suspensions, blah blah blah...they are still ranked top 10 (7th I think). So you could argue the D might be a little worse and the O might be worse, but they'd still have a solid team...depending on who you swapped LT out for. Give me a solid RB in return and this is still a playoff team. Give me a good RB and this is a definite playoff team and Super Bowl contender.

Or the flip side...who had more to do with NO turning it around this year...getting Reggie Bush or getting Drew Brees???

Gut

10. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

LT is th best back ever, period, yakno why, todays players are stronger, bigger, tougher and more powerful in most aspects of the game than it was 30+ years ago, and LT is putting up more TDs, the same amount of yards and catches, and sometimes more than the players from before his time, and as for Drew Brees, if you say LT and A Gates made him, go look up his stats this year, hes a top 3 qb

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar