Matt Cassell Traded to Chiefs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

Gonz. is going to have a KILLER year

2. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

tru dat

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Doesn't really matter what anyone thinks of Cassel as far as "if he's truly the next great nfl qb".
    He's definitely worth the gamble of a 2nd round pick.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

it's not like he succeeded just by running around making people miss(Vince Young). He was very, very successful in one of the most sophisticated offenses in the league, in one of the most unfriendly places to play weather-wize. I was very impressed with Cassel, even with Moss and Welker. He was very cool-headed, especially considering he hadn't started a football game since High School. He has all the tools, the arm, athleticism, the head.......now he just has to develop his leadership skills because he is going to have to lead more with the Chefs than he would have with the Pats. For a 2nd rounder, he's a steal.

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Point is, you got to believe in Cassell for it to truly be worth the gamble.

Because if he craps out, they'll be in for dead cap weight, or stuck with a poor QB.

But I really doubt he ends up totally bombing. Thinking more average and overpaid in the long run, but no one really knows at this point.

6. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Not true. He will have another year (the franchise year) to play for a larger contract. It's a smart move even if he doesn't have Moss or Welker. I still think your whole "better receivers makes for a better QB" argument is a tad weak. Why couldn't Matt Leinart succeed in Arizona? Or Ryan Fitzpatrick in Cincinnati?

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I don't think anyone was going to succeed in Cinci, to be fair, and there wasn't the same consistency at WR. RB situation was the pitts until the last month, but I agree you can't just go "Receivers, voila. Great QB to follow."

Anyway, you can't beat Cassell for a 2nd with a stick, in my opinion. I won't even mention the ususal suspects. :irked:

8. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

i can't wait to see how bad he really sucks

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

The only explanation for the deal is that in doing this the pats relieved themselves of $18M in cap space for a 34 year old OLB and a QB who wouldn't have played much.

What i'm wondering is why we didn't offer our 1st rd pick for those 2 guys before we signed collins? Cassell is only 26.

The other issue in the deal is as far as i can tell cassell is still only signed for the one year franchise amount and does not yet have a long term deal.

Cassel would have given us a comparable player to collins but with 8-9 years still left or more. Vrabel could provide us a lot of leadership in a championship run.

We can be sure now that gonzo will not be going anywhere.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Your argument is backassward. Cassel DID succeed with good players around him. Those 2 other guys just suck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar