Matthews First Titan to Make Hall of Fame

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: He played each position on the offensive line. He had 14 consecutive Pro Bowl appearances. He played 19 years and 296 games, more than any full-time positional player in league history when he retired. That is why Bruce Matthews will be the only inductee Saturday elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility, and just the 59th elected on the first ballot. The quiet ironman of the NFL calls the prospect very humbling. "It really makes it clear to me how much God has blessed me and my family. There are just too many things that have happened in my life I'd love to take credit for it and say I did it all by myself. It's too obvious to me how blessed I've been," Matthews said. On Saturday, Titans OL coach Mike Munchak will present Matthews just as Matthews presented him back in 2001. "I don't think there'll be too many guys like him around again," Munchak said.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Amazing player. Even though he wasn't what he once was, it was a real treat to watch him play those final few seasons.

3. PickledMidget

PickledMidget Camp Fodder

Amazing man and football player. All the best!

4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Hopefully this isnt the only Titan in the near future

5. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

A great player with great charactor...

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well, it probably is. I don't think Eddie will make it, or any of the others who have already retired. From that point, it takes 5 years post retirement to get in, and I don't think we have anyone who's even coming close to having that kind of a body of work. My bet is that it will be closer to 15 years from now than to 5 before we have another Titan enter the hall.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Wychek has a case to get in.

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Eddie and Frank probably both have some claim, but will need to wait their turn.

With Bruce, it was never in doubt. He was the cornerstone of this Franchise for as long as I can remember and was a great player/ambassador for the Titans.

I am very excited for him and look forward to him officially taking his place amongst the greats.

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Sorry, guys. Our next hope is wearing #10.

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Bruce was one of a kind - I wish he could have left with a ring... it's hard to exaggerate what he did on/off the field. I could see Wycheck getting some mention down the road, but yea, Young may be the next real chance. And let the comments begin about how it's a bit early to anoint our still-got-a-way-to-go 2nd year QB as a HOFer. He's got all the tools to make it, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar