Maybe Keeping Hasselbeck over Fitzpatrick Was A Wiser Move?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bryan Randal, Oct 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan Randal

Bryan Randal Camp Fodder

Just wanted some feedback regarding this topic. Hasselbeck knew the system here in Nashville very, very well. He posted one of his best seasons as a Pro in 2011. Last year was a disaster for every coach and player, but he did step in and climb the Titans to a 3-4 record, beating Pittsburgh and Buffalo both very close games. I always liked his play for the short period of time he was in a Titan uniform, but do agree that his salary this year didn't warrant his role as our backup and he didn't bring the Titans all the way back last year after stepping into the starting lineup.

However, I think it would've been wiser to keep him instead of our current situation with Fitzpatrick, who showed how foreign he still is lost in translation on the field last Sunday. It looked as though he was having a good Pre Season, but really think that with Hasselbeck under center, would've gave us a better chance during this brutal three game stretch and more than likely beat Kansas City.

2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

Neither one are Brandon Weeden.

3. Chance9

Chance9 Starter

Hasselbeck showed last yr his talents are diminishing quickly.. Fitz had a dreadful first half but really played well I thought in the 2nd half and made more than enough plays for us to win

• High Five High Five x 2
  4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

KB catches that 3rd down pass RF is a good QB

• High Five High Five x 4
  5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Threads like this make me want us to go back to the it sucks option.

Hasselbeck is old!

It's an 8 year age difference!

And why would a Harvard guy who has been with the team since March not know the system? Yes he might be a big rusty for a half and was but that is it. We made our decision and this is now our guy and we will sink or swim with him.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Hasselbeck never played in this new system, Chris Palmer and his ugly west coast/ IDK WTF system was not like Loggains.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. RTH

RTH Meh...

Fitz is the reason the game was close. We lost because of Reynaud and no running game.

Fitz's INTs came off a tipped pass and a take-away from Nate - but we shouldn't have been in that position anyway.

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

To be fair to Hass, he played well early when he first started even with Palmer's crappy O. Matt and Kenny were showing some really good chemistry as well. Then as usual, Kenny got injured.

After Ken went down, teams really started to figure out his game as he wasn't the same. Although, I could pin that on Palmer's scheme seemingly as much as I could pin that on Matt. Also, our interior O-line was abysmal in pass protection and Matt isn't exactly flight of foot.

Not to mention when Matt was playing, we didn't have any D. With the way our D is playing, I would think Matt (as more a game manager) would be even better for us.

After one game with Fitz, I'm not ready to say I'd take Matt over him, I'll give him maybe another game or two before i pass judgement. But people forget that when Matt had Britt even w/ Palmer calling the shots, as well as no D and no run game, he was still able to look pretty darn good....

10. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

This thread is all in hindsight as we already moved on so this shouldn't be coming up again. Hass was getting up there in age and I am glad we moved on from him. Fitz isn't the best by any means but at least we saw he can be somewhat mobile last week and run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar