Mayweather KO's Ricky Hatton in the 10th.

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Deuce Wayne, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Yes it was! I thought that was the fight that was going to bury clown-glove fighting permanently.

I used to really enjoy boxing. I don't know if it's the lack of an interesting heavyweight division or just since I've started watching MMA, but I don't think boxing is going to survive as the biggest fighting entertainment sport.

I mean, boxing will always be around, but I think as time goes by, the real money fights are going to start being MMA fights.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Boxing as an organized sport in America, has been around over 150 years. When MMA does that, we can talk; as far as I'm concerned, it's still a fad. Boxing ain't goin' anywhere, and real fans will always tell you their are exciting fights to be had.

3. Alex1939

MMA is not a "fad".

MMA's popularity has grown enormously, evidenced by the popularity of the Spike UFC shows.

I agree, boxing isn't going to come to an end. But as far as big money fights, I wonder if it will continue with the mega-paydays we see now and in years past.

I personally feel that MMA is on a steady upswing in popularity, while boxing has been in a downtrend for awhile.

We'll see what happens... but my guess is that as the teens and 20-somethings grow older, MMA will take over as the most popular fighting sport with boxing in second. just a guess.

As strange as this sounds, I actually think MMA is the safer of the two sports. In boxing there is so much long-term damage from continued blows to the head, while MMA fights are quicker and the punishment may be more severe short-term, but long-term I would think we'll see less brain damaged fighters, like we normally see with many boxers in their advanced age.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I'm calling it a fad because that's all it is at this point. There is no proof of longevity at this point.

5. Alex1939

If you want proof that MMA isn't a fad, or if you are at all interested in learning more about MMA, check out "Ultimate Fighting: From bloodsport to bigtime" premiering on CNBC tommorow at 9cst.

The promo states that MMA now generates as much money as blue-chip professional sports.

Should be an interesting piece and CNBC usually puts out quality productions.

6. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

I actually like MMA, believe it or not (although I'm a harsh critic of the striking, because it's atrocious for the most part). I just don't see it as a long-standing sport, not in the way boxing has anyway.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

as long as Don King is breathing air that could be put to better use being stuffed up an elephants asre then I will pay zero attention to boxing

8. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

So you're not going to watch a sport because a greedy promoter still does business?

9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

no because the "sport" is corrupt because of the so called "promoter". King is nothing short of a boxing pimp and everyone associated with the "sport" are his whores

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think pride fighting having money problems sums up just how long MMA will be popular. They're the best of the best, and are having to move to the U.S. to try to be more popular, while everyone here is obsessed with UFC so they can see all their best buddies, and brother's cousins fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar