Mccarthy vs Fisher...a lesson to learn..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Feb 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanfan77

titanfan77 Starter

Good point.

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'm beginning to think this would work too, but do we have the personnel to pull it off? We need bigger linemen to hold the point of attack, and let LB's scrap, and flow to the ball. Jason Jones to DE would be a great move which I've been saying for a while now.

3. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

We don't have the personnel at the moment, but we can eventually. If we plan on switching to 3-4, then I can guarantee we take Von Miller at #8 which I'd be fine with.

I agree with JJ to DE.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What defense you run makes no difference. You just have to draft the best players for the system you run. There are bad defenses that use the 3-4 and there are teams that regularly have good defenses that run the 4-3.

As for moving Jason Jones to DE remember that he was not a big sack guy even in college in the MAC as a DE. He does not have elite type speed for a DE either. He would be a good run stopper there but i'm not sure he could ever be an above average pass rusher. I'm not against the idea because he would be good in a rotation at either De or DT but don't expect him to get a lot of sacks there.

Assuming we sign Babin that already gives us 2 good pas rushing ends with him and Morgan for the 4-3.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What i would change about our 4-3 is that i would look for some bigger defensive tackles. We always are looking for these 280-290 lb guys but would be nice to adapt the defense to have a big 330 lb guy who can support 2 gaps against the run and get a push on passing downs.

A pure one gap guy like a Jason jones would be more effective with a big space eater along side of him. It would stabilize our run defense and help to eat up blockers so our more athletic linemen can make plays.

So that is how i might use an element of the 3-4 to help our 4-3. Using an under DT and over Dt concept by having that one really big guy to anchor the defense and help eat up blockers.

6. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

Your Zimmerisms are showing...

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Wow what a compliment! The Bengals starting Dts are both 320 lbs. Kind of reminds you of the 2000 ravens doesn't it? Geno Atkins must feel like the little guy.

Cruds do you think about Fitzgerald and the job he has done with the Bengals linebackers? Might be worth a look as our DC.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

No it doesn't. Babin is going to suck next year. Remember I went out on a limb calling out Amano with no real evidence he truly sucks, well now you see what I saw then in Amano. I can tell peoples futures, and Babin's is no good.

9. 24

24 Starter

I disagree. Ted Thompson was the one pulling the strings on this one, not McCarthy. McCarthy was barely an OC when Thompson hired him, he just had WCO roots, something Thompson wanted. Thompson has Oilers roots, I love his personnel strategy, and he was roommates/best friends with Reinfeldt. Hopefully, Reinfeldt will be taking on a similar approach.

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What does that mean? He was OC for 5 seasons for the Saints under Bill Haslett and one season for the 49ers in 05. How is a guy who was an OC for 6 years barely one?

2008 was his third season as head coach of the Packers. So a coach about to enter his 4th year had no control over his coaching staff?

Doesn't really matter if he was pressured to do it or did it on his own. The bottom line is that a change was needed so he did it and they won a super bowl.

With all this talk about Aaron rogers and the Packer offense they did have the #2 defense in the league. They would not have won with just an average defense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar