McNair calls first Ravens practice 'mind boggling'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

In 1999 Mac missed 5 games to injury and finished the year with less than 60% completions and less than an 80 QB rating. In 2000 Mac's stats were only slightly better. Neil O'Donnel, with the same WRs, OL and running game had a QB rating of 87.6 in 1999. If Mac was above average O'Donnel must have really been steller in 1999.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Sledge...

Funny i respond to a post by jwill and you respond with this..."we're just saying".

Are you guys mutants of each other?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Soxcat....jwill...

Anyone who uses 2005 as some gleaming example of mcnair's ability is clueless. Yeah he was past his prime and yes he had a bunch of rookie WR so what is the point? Derrick mason isn't some all time great WR so why talk about him that way? If he was jerry rice or marvin harrison i could see the point.

Are you suggesting that mcnair is like every other QB and plays better with better people around him? Well duh!

My reference was to the years before mason even became a 1000 yard WR. We managed to go to the super bowl and mcnair was a significant part of that. The 1999 team with odonnell went 4-1, with mcnair 9-2. Wow big difference. If mcnair sucked so bad why was the team as good? Then soxcat kicks himself in the groin by blabbing with pride that mcnair didn't even complete 60% of his passes when odonnell(St. neil now?) did not complete 60% either.

The problem when people look back at mcnair's career they seem to have no clue that the mcnair who was this stud MVP candidate in 2002 was really no better a player then the mcnair in 98-2000. People just noticed him more in 2002. The stats are almost the same look them up. In 1998 mcnair had an 80 passing rating and almost 600 yards rushing. His mvp candidate year he had a passing rating of 84 with 440 yards rushing. Yeah how superior.

Mcnair is a near hall of fame player and it is stupid and ignorant to say he was made by derrick mason.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

The good news for McNair is...

He has time to learn the offense.
    He has a lot of experience.
    He has Ogden.
    He has Mason.
    He has Heap.
    He has what should be a strong running attack.
    He has what should be a strong defense.

The bad news is...

He doesn't know the offense.
    He has not shown the ability to play to his full potential the first year learning a new offense (like last year).
    He could be knocked into retirement in one big shot.
    It only takes one mistake in making pass protection calls to get that shot.
    TB's defense will test him from game 1.

I could see it going both ways...if everything breaks for the Ravens on paper, they could be a serious Super Bowl threat. I could also see McNair get planted by Simeon Rice and re-injure his sternum...be out for the season...and never play again.

I wish him well though I hope we plant him several times when we play them!

Gut

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Just a side point here. I remember hearing Billick say something like, Steve will learn the offense just fine. This will be his fourth NFL offense. He's been through this before, etc. etc.

I guess that's Steckel, Heimerdinger, Chow and now Fassel.

The Ravens offense is different for a couple of reasons and I can see why McNair equated it to "starting over." Getting a new OC, I would think has a couple of distinct advantages over going to an entirely new franchise.

First off, I'm betting that when a new OC comes in, they start out by tweaking what is already in place and gradually bringing their own stuff in instead of dumping the entire playbook. Second off, when you get a new OC, you aren't alone. Everyone on the team has a new OC. There's probably much more time spent on learning the new stuff so that everyone "gets it."

With all that said, I don't think McNair is going to have a difficult time learning the Ravens playbook, but it's going to be more learning than he has faced since he first picked up Steckel's piece of crap and it might take him a little longer than folks expect.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

wonder if Wycheck would come out of retirement to wear stinkin' ratbird purple and catch 113 dumps from McThere

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Hey maybe Mac was confused because he has not been to a practice in 3 seasons?

8. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

LOL ROTFLMAO!!

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

"Awww man, new team, AND I have to practice?"

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

how many games does McNair last before he is hurt again?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar