McNair calls first Ravens practice 'mind boggling'

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by flamehead2, Jun 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

i'm talking about the team too, but i understand turning on a player with the Resume of Chris Henry.

2. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

You're right I'm a "Fairweather" McNair fan. When he was on my team i was a fan.

He's not, so I'm not

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

yes, ridiculous for a broken down, injury proned QB to leave for another team where he will be lucky to play 2 years and even luckier to play a full season instead of retiring with the team that drafted him and with dignity, unlike his great pal Eddie George.

and they played with a Quarterback who never trained, good leadership there.

And he also cost us atleast one game (Rams)

No, he just left.

And no rookie WR nor Bennett complained about him not practising.

Financially? He's in his 30s and signed a major contract as well as his rookie contract, if he has no money that is his fault.

Career-wise? Again, in his 30s, broken down and a shell of his former self. He will be lucky to last 2 seasons in Baltimore.

Healthwise? By going to a team where the previous QB was sacked more times (23 - 20) in less games (9 to 14) then McNair was in Tennessee last year.

I don't know Steve McNair and he doesnt know me, so he didnt break his body for me, he broke it for the team and then turned his back on team.

And when he played well when he didnt practise (MVP season) he was actually good then.

Why would the Titans, knowing McNair cannot play a full season. pay him a salary he is clearly not worth?

Of course, simple common sense will tell you that McNair will not see the majority of his money in years 4 and 5 of his contract when he has either retired or released.

And the Titans made the right move drafting a QB of the future when the current starter and shell of his former self cannot play upto a standard worth his contract, nor play a 16 game schedule.

Baltimore will be fighting Cleveland for 3rd in the division.

4. jaydog

jaydog Guest

Retiring with the team that drafted him or the one that embarassed him in front of the entire football world by locking him out of the facilities whether he wanted to practice or not and telling him to take what they would give him and like it or get cut.

Where is the dignity in that?

That's absolutely silly. Dignity is going out on your own terms, not being bullied into it by fans or a team that has no intention of keeping you past this year. That's like saying Joe Montana had no dignity because he chose to finish his career out with the Chiefs, even though he had significant back injuries, just because the Niners wanted the Steve Young era to begin. Joe finished his career on his own terms, playing until he felt he wanted to retire. Your whole premise is silly. Did Jerry Rice have no dignity when he played on a Super Bowl team with the Raiders just because he should have retired with the team that drafted him? Saying a player should retire because you think so is silly. You don't know how much longer Mcnair will play. He may stay healthy enought to play and have a good finish to his career like Rich Gannon. Either way he should decide where and when to finish his career, not some shady owner or selfish fans.

Gunny says,
    "and they played with a Quarterback who never trained, good leadership there."

That's absolutely bull also. To say Mcnair was not a leader is absolute bull. And shows how much some of these people are trying to make themselves feel better by trying to detract from what Mcnair has done. For years whenever this team needed to be saved it was Mcnair that did it. Leading this team to victory countless times when defeat was imminent. That's why every former teammate that is currently on the Ravens is as happy as can be because they know they have a real leader under the center.

Gunny said,
    "And he also cost us atleast one game (Rams)"

Peyton Manning cost the Colts many games, usually in the playoffs. Brett Farve cost the Packers numerous games last year throwing 29 interceptions. John Elway practically lost Super Bowls early in his career........so what. They all won the teams many more games. Mcnair won the Titans to many games to count and you nitpick one or two. Foolishness.

Gunny said,
    "No, he just left.

And no rookie WR nor Bennett complained about him not practising."

And they shouldn't have. He has EARNED more respect in his pinky finger than all of the WRs have amassed in their entire careers.

Gunny again,
    "Financially? He's in his 30s and signed a major contract as well as his rookie contract, if he has no money that is his fault."

Nobody said he had no money. But why the hell would he take a paycut when someone wanted him for more than a year and would pay him twice the money to be their starter.....when the Titans were showing their loyalty to him by embarassing him and locking him out. That's stupid. He has an opportunity to make approximately $20M over the next 3 years according to ESPN for a team that is begging him to play for them. But he should stay with a team that is pushing him out the door next year anyway and will make him tak a cut. Assinine!

Gunny,
    "Career-wise? Again, in his 30s, broken down and a shell of his former self. He will be lucky to last 2 seasons in Baltimore."

Who are you, his doctor??? How do you know how long he will last? Career wise I was referring to starting for a team with currently a better running back, better TE, Heap is at this time still better than Troupe, a better O-line, and better receivers, and a entirely better defense. At this time the Ravens are indeed better. Maybe not in 2 years but now yes, by far.

Gunny,
    "Healthwise? By going to a team where the previous QB was sacked more times (23 - 20) in less games (9 to 14) then McNair was in Tennessee last year."

Kyle Boller was sacked that many times cause he has no pocket presence. Mcnair has for years save the Titans O-line from looking average. Even when he has become less mobile he still knows how to avoid a rush or throw the ball away. Kyle Boller is a sitting duck, held the ball way too long, and made horrible decisions with the ball.

Gunny again,
    "I don't know Steve McNair and he doesnt know me, so he didnt break his body for me, he broke it for the team and then turned his back on team."

Bull! He played for the team, the city, the fans, & himself & family. He put it all on the line for all of the above. To say he turned his back on the team is the dumbest thing of all. Absolutely assinine. The Titans turned their back on him and told him take it or leave it. He had enough dignity to say I'll leave it and finish my career on my terms.

Gunny,
    "And when he played well when he didnt practise (MVP season) he was actually good then."

And why didn't he practice as much. He was basically too hurt to play at all. The team shot him up with so much pain-killer that he could only play for that short window on Sunday. He toughed it out for the team.

Gunny,
    "Why would the Titans, knowing McNair cannot play a full season. pay him a salary he is clearly not worth?"

You keep saying cannot play and will not play a full season. Who are you, the injury fairy? Only time will tell that. If the Titans don't want to pay him, then why get mad when another team decides he is worth it to them. Don't get mad he goes to a team that welcomes him with open arms and the opportunity to play as long as he can or as long as he wants to, instead of staying with a team that has embarassed him and tells him they only one you for one more year and after that they will get rid of you.

Gunny,
    "Of course, simple common sense will tell you that McNair will not see the majority of his money in years 4 and 5 of his contract when he has either retired or released."

No you actually hope he doesn't make it 4 or 5 years. He is 33 now. It is not uncommon for QBs to play well at 36, 37, 38. And besides he gets the majority of his money in the first 3 years. He can earn up to $20M in the first 3 years. He gets $11-$12M this year alone. Rich Gannon, Joe Montana, Vinny Testerverde, Randall Cunningham, Brad Johnson are all QBs that people thought were washed up, primarily due to slowing down with injuries and age, but ended up on teams that had good talent and no longer asked them to win the games for them but manage the team and run the ship. That's what Mcnair has now. He has a much better supporting cast in a team that is already built to make a run in the next 2 years or so. The Titans are in full rebuild mold and will realistically be getting really good at the end of these next two years.

The truth of the matter is that you don't want him to succeed with the Ravens because you feel like he turned his back on your team. You hope in some small way that he gets broke down to make you feel better about him leaving.

Gunny,
    "And the Titans made the right move drafting a QB of the future when the current starter and shell of his former self cannot play upto a standard worth his contract, nor play a 16 game schedule."

They did make a good decision if drafting a QB of the future. But the way they handled Mcnair was bull. They embarassed him and told him to take it or leave it. Other teams, mainly the Ravens, gave him other alternatives and he took advantage of it. Good for him.

Gunny,
    "Baltimore will be fighting Cleveland for 3rd in the division."

Maybe so, maybe not...only time will tell. But one thing is for sure. Mcnair is in a better place for him. The Titans are in a better cap situation. Both should just move forward. And the fans should stop trying to belittle the warrior who busted his *** for them for so long.

People sound like scorned lovers on this board.

5. jaydog

jaydog Guest

Sorry about the jumbled post, I'm working on quoting people, lol!

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Actually, I've missed these quoted arguments, it makes for better structure and we've missed it mostly this offseason.

7. GoTitans3801

Asinine, Asinine, Asinine Gunny! You've turned your back! How terrible! McNair was not treated with the respect he has earned! We should treat him like Farve, and continue to let him run our team when he's throwing almost 30 INTs per season, he's EARNED it.

IMHO, he's earned his money, and he's earned our respect. He hasn't earned the starting job until he decides to hang it up. We had the chance to get our QB of the future, and we took it. No one has said he would only get one year here. If he stayed and could still play well, I bet he'd start two. However, if he continued to struggle, like we've seen the past two years, it would be handed over to Vince in year two. Do you really think it'll be different in Baltimore? If he doesn't play well, do you think he'll start two full seasons? Do you think he's really more in control there than here? No.

I understand. Steve is a warrior/hero/player/leader/etc... What makes him that is what makes him want to hang on and try for a superbowl. I admire that in the guy. It's clearly something that all aging great atheletes go through. The trick is realizing what he actually WILL be able to do, and how to make that worth something to the team. I think he's also overlooked how much support he would gain after his football career here if he'd stayed. If Steve can play well for two more years he'd be allowed to do that here. He'd be given a backup role at 35, is that really that bad? He'd still probably play some, and be a huge leader for the team. I know it's not what he wants, but it's probably better than what he most likely will end up with in Baltimore. If he fails, or even does not play above average, he'll be replaced sooner rather than later. After a year on the bench, Boller will be back. Most likely, Steve will find himself in the same situation two years down the road, but with a team where he has less history and less love.

You mentioned the insult of being told he couldn't work out here. If you truly believe that that is what that was, and that it's what Steve thought it was, then kindly go back to the newspaper editorials, they'll appreciate your opinion more there. Players are preveneted from working out with the team during renegotiation often, and usually it's the player who instigates it. His being turned away was simply a media ploy set up by Bus Cook to garner the reaction that you and so many others are giving. It happened when Fisher and Reese weren't there, so I'll give Bud some blame on allowing it that way, but Cook's the one who called the cameras, and Cook is the one who sent him over after he already knew McNair wouldn't be allowed to practice. All of that was merely media strategy, and it worked.

8. flamehead2

flamehead2 Starter

Steve McNair did earn our respect over the last 11 years with his miraculous play. Unfortunately he lost some fans respect when he played sub-McNair for 2 years and then finished that off by dropping a giant steamy bird turd on our heads by jumping ship while insinuating "i'm too good for these crappy Titans" and going to the Ravens. Gotitans3801 is exactly right. Bus cook with McNair orchestrated or at the very least manipulated this whole lockout thing so they could get thier way (MAC going to the Ravens)
    I'm not proud of the fact that I've lost some love for Mcnair but I'm sickened by those fans that want to give Mcnair a complete pass on this thing just because he took us to the superbowl some 6 or 7 years ago.

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse

10. GoTitans3801

True, True, Hoffa.

Just responding to a very heartfelt post. If Jaydog's going to put forth the effort for that argument again, I'm more than willing to respond. Just because I'm a little hard on Mcnair at this point doesn't mean that I want to be called heartless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar