McNair hurting before the game?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ewker, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeutschTitan

DeutschTitan Camp Fodder

I totally agree. I'd like Steve to hang around another year or two also; maybe he'll get that ring if we can right this ship quickly. :winker:

2. TM

TM Starter

You'll expend a lot of valuable cap space keeping McNair around. He's due at least 10M next year unless he agrees to a straight pay cut, which rarely happens in the NFL.

3. That all depends on what they do with his contract. We'll have to wait and see there...

4. bulluck4dMVP

bulluck4dMVP Pro Bowler

yea Volek has definitely done nothing @ all to help his cause for him being a so called "Starter" for some team next year....

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I really don't think McNair is as motivated by money as most other NFL players are. I think McNair mentoring a new young QB is an excellent strategy, and if it were to unfold that way I think McNair would take his compensation in a way that leaves as little impact on the club/cap as possible. I think Steve would hang around to actually give something back to the Titans. I know that may sound crazy but that is the type of guy that I perceive McNair to be.

Although, I really do think McNair is more or less done. Volek has proven that he sucks (that was a pretty bomb to Drew though) and Matt Mauck is an unknown quanity...Might as well be McNair...I don't really have alot of hope for our Titans to make the playoffs next year anyway. It's time to get the next great franchise qb.

Here's a pre-draft news story from april. 04/08/05 -interesting stuff.
    'Franchise' QB attracts Titans' eye

6. pking34

pking34 Guest

Mcnair

It has been reported on a couple of occasions that Steve McNair actually occupies more cap space than Peyton Manning. Does Steve's performance over the last 2 seasons justify this? No.
    On the other hand, I don't believe #9 is finished, either. Considering his supporting cast, I think he's still a top-10 NFL QB (granted, around the bottom of the top 10), and could continue to be for 2-5 more years.
    So it comes down to a business decision, by the Titans and by McNair. The Titans need to accurately (as much as is possible) compute Steve's true value and offer it; Steve needs to decide if this is the best situation for him.
    I don't think Billy Volek is the future of the franchise; if some teams think he is an NFL starter, more power to them. I don't think he is a starter for us.

7. "More cap space" is very misleading in this case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar