McNair Makes His Case for Return

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, May 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: NFL Players Association general counsel Richard Berthelsen said yesterday said the cross-examination of Steve McNair was lengthy in yesterday's grievance hearing at Baptist Sports Park. "Our case was pretty brief, what made it long was the cross examination. But Steve did say what he's always said: He would love to be a Tennessee Titan and retire in that uniform, but yet it seems like the club is not allowing him to perform and that is why we're all here." Berthelsen said that both sides were respectful during seven-and-a-half hour hearing. "It was mainly irrelevant things, like, 'You weren't here much in the past, were you? So why do you want to be here now?," said Berthelsen, who indicated the Titans' biggest arguments centered on their concerns with his contract and the salary cap. Berthelsen said the union won a similar case nearly 20 years ago, when the Oakland Raiders banned RB Steve Smith from working out at their complex because they were looking to trade him. The arbitrator will try to make a decision by June 1.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. moosle

moosle Camp Fodder

Didn't this same thing happen to Tim Couch in 2004 with Cleveland right after they signed Garcia? Does anyone know what the outcomes were from the NFLPA for both Smith and Couch? Considering that Couch played for the Packers in '04 it seems like things went the Brown's way, but I was just wondering what the consquences were.

3. Canadian Titan

Canadian Titan VY & CJ = New SM & EG

Poor MAC, I'm starting to feel sorry for him like he's some kind of Kid getting no respect in an older persons world! :sad2:

4. Tim Couch was a terrible bust, theres a difference

5. Michi40

Michi40 Lost bullet

Without getting the paycut... of course.

6. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

How does one player being a bust affect an arbitrators decision on whether a player can work out with his team? Not sure that is relevant. Do only good players get that benefit?

7. moosle

moosle Camp Fodder

Possibly a difference in talent, but regardless of whether or not he was a bust, he was under contract with the Browns when they locked him out, and it was no small coinicidence that they had just signed a new QB and were seeking a trade. It sounds pretty identical to me from a business standpoint.

8. Nine

Nine Starter

As I recall, the Browns made it clear that they didn't want Couch...they notified him that if he wasn't traded, he would be released on June 1, then locked him out until then.

9. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Seven hours of, "You haven't worked out for 11 years, and now it's a problem for you?". Must have been comfortable in the room.

10. Sukrillux

Sukrillux Guest

I think now it's more about the length of the contract than the pay. Sure, getting $3 million more to play elsewhere is nice, but I think the length is what has McNair all torn up. With Young now getting all the attention here, McNair will be viewed as the "over-the-hill" QB with a short shelf life. McNair could have possibly been playing the innocent card by saying something like "(I) would love to be a Tennessee Titan and retire in that uniform, but yet it seems like the club is not allowing (me) to perform and that is why we're all here." I don't know if he said that or just indicated that he would love to retire a Titan. However, what else would he have said when asked? "I would like to go to Baltimore since the Titans don't like me anymore."?!? That wouldn't have been a very "fan friendly" statement to make. I would love to have McNair back, but I fear that he will be more of a burden financially than a help on the field. I could be wrong, but I am going off of 2-3 unspectacular, consecutive seasons. That's my opinion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar