McNair Says Young Needs Strong Running Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OswegoTitan41

OswegoTitan41 Starter

I love Steve, If the Titans don't make it to the playoffs, I'll be rooting for Steve and the Ravens all the way

2. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

I'm just wanting to see which RB will lead us into the season.

3. cld12pk2go

cld12pk2go Starter

I think top 3 is actually quite possible. I see the Chargers and Falcons as two that might get more yards on the ground.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The key are the yards rushed by everyone not named "Vince Young".

5. RyansTitans

RyansTitans Guest

I really hope going into next year we are pushing to sign Brown to a long term deal meaning Brown plays the way he should this year and proves everyone wrong including me that he can play a full season.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I don't disagree with what you are saying and I respect what you are saying and things could turn out well despite losing Henry.

The logic however behind saying that just because things turned out far different one year from how we perceived them in pre-season is a basis for how they will turn out this year is flawed.

The Titans in 2006 were in search of someone to be our next "Eddie George", a guy who could give us a solid run game. To that end we used a 3rd round draft pick on T. Henry the year prior, we had Brown but with questions about his durability and we drafted White. We started the year out not really sure who was going to step up and take that role (similar to this year). In a way we got lucky because the guy we didn't trade for a 5th round pick ended up being what we were looking for. We had our guy. The guy we were looking for and we let him go. Everyone keeps saying they wouldn't have paid Henry the 8 mil but that was not unreasonable for a quality #1 RB in the NFL. Now the search starts again. Who will step up. Instead of having the sure thing in the bank and using a 2nd round pick on a different position we use a 2nd rounder for the second year in a row and now we hope the pick wasn't in vain. Is it possible one of these guys can be the next "Travis Henry". Sure it is possible. But we already had a guy who worked his arse off, demonstrated he can get the job done and actually helped us stay competitive and win 8 games. It was bad judgement IMO on the part of the FO. They probably thought Henry would re-sign / restructure for way lower than what his market value was. They also under estimated the immaturity of LW. IMO Henry was well worth keeping at his previous contract, not having to use another 2nd round pick on a RB and we also would not been in a position to literally have to re-sign Brown. I personally don't think the Broncos are the dumbest organization in the NFL and they gave Henry more money to give suppport to their second year QB. Either they were really stupid or we were. Right now they are going into the season without major concerns about their running game, we are.

7. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I never said it WOULD happen but that it CAN happen.

That's the issue for me. Was T. Henry worth #1 money. Not to me based on comments I've made in past threads on the subject. If the Titans were a playoff team, then it is maybe worth accepting.

How is T. Henry or anyone a "sure thing"? He sure wasn't a "sure thing" in '05.

Maybe. Or they felt he wasn't worth what the Broncos paid because they had a second-round pick they needed to get on the field and knew they could get a Brown or journeyman RB and a draft pick for a fraction of the cost.

Again, that is the perception at the moment. Yet I don't hear anyone with the team dispute the guy's talent or potential which indicates to me they feel he can get the job done.

And though the argument is valid that the Titans could have used the C. Henry pick for some other need, it's also important to note the $8 mil plus they'd paid Henry can go to extend Roos or Bell

And we thought we had a two-headed monster in '05 that never occurred because Brown couldn't stay on the field and T. Henry put weed ahead of the team.

Things change quickly in the NFL.

9. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

I think Mcnair should be more concerned with his own team, and trying to stay on top of the Ratbirds QB depth chart for the entire season.

The fact is nobody knows how our running game will turn out this season. I am not sweating it at this point in the offseason prior to training camp. We have people with potential, just like last season.

I liked Steve. I hate the Ravens. I hope they lose every game this season and have the worst passing offense in the league. Sorry if that doesn't show loyalty to former Titans players, but I really don't care.

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

The running game depends on Chris Brown. If he plays as fragile as in the past, we're in trouble. But if he can stay on the field, we're in real good shape.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar