McNair to count over 1/4 of our cap space

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Mar 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Thats why a trade might be the best thing. Anything is better than nothing. We could get our 3rd rounder back, drop 10 million from our CAP to spend on FAs (including another cheaper vet QB like Kitna if we wanted) and if we have a solid draft at least be competitive next year with a few carefully selected FAs.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

certainly Mc could draw more than a 3rd rounder ....... right ?

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I like the sound of the mutiny.

[​IMG]

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Why...in THE WORLD...would we take a 3rd for McNair? We can get that at least for Billy, probably a second. At his cap hit, we could trade Henry for that.

Is McNair more valuable to the Dolphins than rookie Jay Cutler? Yes. Would Miami likely have to trade up in order to get Cutler, thus giving up more than a first rounder, maybe two? Yes.

So why would we not take a first for McNair? NO REASON WHATSOEVER.

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Sorry, Sox. I'm not yelling...at you...directly. (j/k)

The ideal is to rework McNair. These guys have a lot of stress and pressure the next few days. You really don't want to let Billy be the mentor and have some San Diego Drew Brees/ Phillip Rivers scenario. You trade Billy, get a 2nd/3rd, give Steve one more year as starter, one after that as backup, then see where you are (probably at the doorstep of the retirement home at that point). I think the rest is panic over the cap. $10 mil is an attractive amount to save, but really, don't expect improvement over last year from the savings.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

don't expect improvement from the spending either

7. sdavis2k

sdavis2k Guest

I think we need to trade Volek. Right now theres alot of teams needed a QB and I have heard the Bucs wanted him before they picked up Rattay, and might again since they are likely to cut Griese and let Simms start.

Simply numbers, Steve McNair is 33 years old, Volek will be 30 in April. McNair has been a starter pretty much his whole career (6 games first season but missed some games almost every year due to injuries).

The Titans need a future QB and i think we will get them in the first round of the draft. Either Young or Cutler because I think the Saints have Leinart wrapped up.

From a mentoring/backup standpoint I would rather pay more for McNair especially if the QB is Young. I think McNair can really teach him when its safe and ok to run the ball and when its much better to pass it, throw it away, or take a sack. I don't believe Volek who in 6 years has only started 24 games, less than 2 full season and 10 of them in 1 season when McNair was hurt could be a very good mentor to a rookie since he doesn't have game experience.

Someone brought up Kitna. I think part of the reason why Carson Palmer got so good so quickly was because he had a Vet lik Kitna who had started for years teaching him and explaining everything to him. I think McNair would be much better in thataspect so I say keep him.

Either QB isn't going to be the future. Both are too old to really rebuild a team around. But McNair would be a better mentor to someone like Young or Cutler.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

i still think the youth movement needs to learn Chow from Chow and not Chow via McNair

it's easy to say "14 mil is better than 24mil" but you get nothing from the 14 except the 10 that you save

i think Vince will find out soon enough when to run , scramble, dump, check, etc.. without the aid of a "mentor". he's got one of those already in Chow. it's not like he (McNair) has this offense mastered yet or anything

it's another catch22 / damnedifyoudo-damnedifoudon't scenarios

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

First you have a fit because I mention trading McNair for a 3rd round pick and then admit he could be the starter for ONE YEAR? Sorry, I don't want to "rework" McNair's contract so we can save a little this year and have another 10 million of dead money next year. And, I certainly don't want to pay a guy 10 mil to ride the bench. McNair could play another 5 years or he could play only one year, who knows. The point is when we trade him we are basically releasing him but getting something for him in return. Nobody is going to give alot for a guy who is obviously in his last year or so. IMO we would be lucky to get the 3rd.

10. sdavis2k

sdavis2k Guest

You do know for most teams young talent stays around longer than the coachinf staff. Owners and GMs are more likely to try and get a new coaching system in than to cut a struggling QB. The Ravens are on their 3rd or 4th OC with Boller. Vick is on his 3rd i believe. Harrington is on his 2nd HC and 3rd OC i believe. Chow showed he was a brillant offensive mind at USC. Last year with the Titans I didn't see much, but i know their was alot of rookies and it was a new system for them and everyone to learn. I think McNair will outlast Chow with the Titans system. I think he'll take a pay cut and be a backup/mentor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar