McNair to retire

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Apr 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

Fisher Comments on McNair Retirement

SUMMARY: A number of coaches and teammates paid tribute today to Steve McNair as he announced his retirement. "He was the face of this franchise for nearly 10 years," said Titans coach Jeff Fisher. "As he developed, so did the franchise. He was instrumental in leading this franchise to its only Super Bowl appearance. He played in many games that no one else would have been able to play. He overcame an awful lot physically. He was there every week. He was a tremendous leader and set a great example for all the players that played with him. He was a great teammate. He is a good friend and personally I will always owe a lot to Steve."

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. CheeseheadTitan

CheeseheadTitan Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

I don't think that this will happen, but I pray that it would. Steve McNair is by far my all time favorite Titan. I will never forget the second to last play during the Super Bowl. His toughness and grit is what drew me to the team when they came to Tennessee.

In my mind he never stopped being a Titan.

Good luck and stay healthy Steve!

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lol @ Bruce admitting to hating the Ravens. There's a guy that retired a TITAN and still is.

4. Titan1216

Titan1216 Starter

Great.......more time for the bars...........once a Raven always a Raven......see ya !

5. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

man, the game just doesn't seem the same without #9 out there playing. Vince has some big shoes to fill. McNair is and will always be a HUGE part of the Titans organization and his presence in football will be missed.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I remember back when steve was a young QB and now he is calling it a day. Seems like just yesterday time moves so fast.

Steve retires as the second best QB in team history and should have his number retired.

I disagree with zell's comment.
    I think steve was a top 10 QB as early as 1998. If only we had drafted randy moss he would be on his way to the hall for sure.

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcnair's pro bowl years.

I believe steve mcnair went to 2 pro bowls in 03 and 05. Pro football reference has him as a pro bowl QB in 2000 but i think that is wrong. Was he voted to it and didn't go or did he get in as an alternate? The 2000 afc roster for QBs is rich gannon starter, peyton manning and brian griese 2 and 3. I don't remember steve going to a pro bowl prior to his mvp year. Help me out on this.

The point i'm making here is this. Steve made at least 2 pro bowls. He could have made 6. When it comes time for hall of fame voting the number of pro bowls you make means a lot as time erodes the memories of how he played. He hasn't been the athletic QB we all remember since 2003. HOF voting won't be until 2013.

Steve should have made it in 2000. His numbers were solid he led the titans to a 2nd straight 13-3 season and while brian griese's numbers were good he only played 10 games.

Steve should have made it in 2001 over kordell stewart with his outstanding performance, 90 passing rating with 400 yards rushing.

Steve should have made it in 2002 over drew bledsoe. Steve was an mvp candidate but no pro bowl!

Steve should have made it in 06 after helping the ravens to a 13-3 record. He should have cared enough about his legacy to not step aside for a mere rookie vince young.

8. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I hope they don't retire any more numbers. I agree with John Wooden that you shouldn't retire anyone's number in a team sport.
    I remember Bud Adams saying a few years back that the Titans will not retire any more numbers...

9. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

Air Mcnair!!!

# 9 will live for ever in our hearts!! God bless you steve the iron horse of the franchise....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar