McNair Trade Only for Fourth Round Draft Pick

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: When Steve McNair is introduced today at a 3:15 central press conference in Baltimore, it will end his era with the Tennessee Titans. Though original reports were that McNair was traded for a fourth-round draft pick which could escalate to a third-rounder based on the quarterback’s performance, other reports state there will be no possibility of the fourth turning into a third. This statement was released by the Titans yesterday afternoon. "We have granted permission to Baltimore to give Steve McNair a physical, which we expect to take place in the next 24 hours. Upon passing a physical, final trade terms will be agreed upon."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Too bad.....

Titans just didn't want to pay him enough for long enough and for good reason. They could have never come to terms. The titans are the reason the trade had to be made.

I don't buy the conditional third rd pick because the titans publically said they wanted a 4th for him so why would the ravens pay more.

A 4th rd pick isn't bad. His playing value is worth a 2nd but with his age, injury history and high price tag against the cap knocked down his trade value.

Overall a good deal for us since mcnair wouldn't have started more than a year anyway. Since we have some players who will be free agents after this year or next maybe we can use the cap money to keep them around. Haynesworth, bennett, brown and long. Especially haynesworth. I'm tired of playing musical chairs with mid career players.

3. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

It stinks. That said I think we got all we could for him. I just don't think the pick will be worth anything tangible though. My biggest problem with this is the timing. We should have let him go last year or signed him to the deal he wanted. It seems to me that we already started rebuilding last year, and should have gone after it full throttle instead of gutting the majority of our team's talent last season. It just seems strange to me indeed. I still hated having to watch last years' team stink. At least this year we will have lessened expectations.

4. fltitan

fltitan Guest

While we only got a 4 on the trade we maybe able to pick up a FA or 2 with the cap room we have now that we couldnt sign without the trade and that has to be factored in. It may turn out that we get the pick and a couple of players. It will be interesting to see if we use the 4 on Ahmad Brooks in the supplemental draft. He was projected to be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick if he had come out for the draft, he has had some off field issues and injuries but hes big fast and can play in the middle.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

The blessing with being in cap hell is if we weren't we'd still be starting Eddie and Steve even though they are long gone.

The team is too loyal.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

The timing was perfect IMO. Although Mac didn't take the 50% cut in pay to stay that the Titans offered there still was an oppoprtunity to stay and finish his career if he wanted to. Waiting until now gave all involved time to get things worked out. The only scewup was the lockout of the facility which if handled properly could have made the difference between night and day in how the whole thing went down.
    No way the Titans were going to sign him to the deal he wanted and no way they were going to let Mac go before last year. If Mac and the other vets had pulled their weight last year the team would not have stunk as bad.

7. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Only a 4th?

I don't have the time, but over the last week, it seems like I've heard several people say we should have taken the 5th rounder on draft day. I thought we'd just end up holding him out of spite and never get anything. If it has the possibility of becoming a 3rd rounder, I'm thrilled, well worth it. To me, the bottom line is that we managed to force the Ravens to pay something for Mcnair when we would have had to give him up for free later. Reese gets knocked sometimes, and true, it's possible it could have worked out better, but honestly, has anyone in the last 2 or 3 months realistically thought we would get anything better? I sure didn't, and I'm glad we got what we could.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Both sides...

If you are the titans there is no way you want a 4 year deal for about $8M per. That's probably the minimum needed to sign him. With vince young here why would we do that? Possible before the draft but not now. Mcnair wanted a long term deal for significant money.

From mcnair's perspective he did the right thing. Get the most money and the longest contract. He gets to start for a least 2-3 years without a vince young bnreathing down his back and he is on a team that can win.

9. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

VY breathing down his back is a significant reason to leave IMO.
    The way Mac has played the last few years I could actually see the fans turning on him if he wasn't playing well and the fans chanting YOUNG, YOUNG. Heck that happens even when the backup isn't VY in NFL Stadiums all the time. Everyone will be excited about seeing VY out there even to the point of hoping Mac scewed up or got hurt just to see Young. Thats just the way it goes. Mac made the right move. I just hope he doesn't bomb like EG although I have a feeling he will.

10. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

I have a feeling he will do pretty good.
    Unlike EG, he has someone there he's had success with (Mason). He's also already been told he's the starter, won't have to beat out anyone.

And unlike EG in Dallas, he has a coach that wants him. Parcells said at the begining that he didn't think they needed EG.

Steve is starting out in a lot better situation than EG did. If he does bomb he won't have anyone to blame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar