McNair vs Manning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MsTitan, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Some of you seem to have short term memories, and as usual some of you can't freakin' read.
    But in reply to the ludicrous idea that Mcnair was somehow just "trent dilfering" the super bowl team of 99, do you not remember that 5 TD passing performance in Jax for the Conf. Championship.
    I must have missed the big game that P-Head Manning won like that.
    And for the 1 Millionth time, The Music City Miracle was a legal play, ruled legal on the field, further upheld by instant replay and the fault of the Bills Special teamers that day for not having a clue.
    (Having practiced the play they were prepared, and prepared teams are lucky teams, Patriots??)

2. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

I forgot this bit of scientific evidence...

:coltssuk: :coltssuk: :coltssuk: :coltssuk:

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I can't believe we are actually still arguing the point of who the better QB is. There may have been some contention back in 2003 but right now, as I stated earlier, there is no coach or GM that wouldn't take Manning hands down over McNair including Reese and Fisher. Anyone who thinks differently is a homer, period.
    By the way MadAboutMcNair, no body is saying McNair is as bad as Trent Dilfer but if you are going to put emphasis on a QB being better because they made it to a SB then Dilfer would get the nod because he not only went to a SB but won one. For those with short memories two of the best QBs of all time, Elway and Marino had failures in the playoffs and SB. Football is a team effort and all those SB losses doesn't mean Elway or Marino were bad QBs. When Elway finally had the right combination of talent behind him he did go on to win. Manning may well do the same. Marino never was able to win the big game but he is still one of the best of all time.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Is it bizzaro world or real world? I agree with Soxcat but at the same time recognize the validity of Mad's argument. Like it or not Peyton ain't clutch and if you include the bogus "leaping" call (FG BLOCK)...it was a remarkable comeback against TB to my chagrin...

Colts suck has nothing to do with this.

Peyton gets help from Zebras.

5. I'd like to have both. I'd start Manning durring the regular season and then bench him in favor of McNair in the playoffs...

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mad about mcnair...

You are the one with the memory problem. Mcnair's 5 TDs came in a regular season game against jacksonville in 1999 not in that afc championship game. He was 14-23 for 112 yards with one pick and one TD in the afc championship game. He also ran for 91 yards which is why he was a good player back then.

I would never say he dilfered his way to the super bowl but i would heartily reject the idea that he took the team on his back as some want to claim.

7. kimberly

kimberly Camp Fodder

the whole point is, is that mcnair over his career, and manning over his whole career, mac has been better! mac is more willing to do whatever it takes and play with reckless abandon if he has to if it means this team going all the way to the big dance, manning, he gets happy feet and gets beat up, them blames other people for his misfortunes!

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Starkiller...

I guess you have not read the factual data given to you on this thread. Mcnair has 6 Tds and 9 ints in play off games. It's all fantasy that the guy is a great post game player.

Something interesting to think about starkiller. Since that wonderful day when the titans won the 1999 afc championship with a win over the jags they have a 2-4 playoff record. The only 2 wins being the nedney roughing call do over over the steelers and the ravens game when mcnair threw 3 ints and 500 year old gary anderson had to hit what for him was an extraordinary long FG.

Maybe you should consult the facts before posting.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Gunny...

Your posts make no sense. Prior to this year manning has played on teams with horrible defenses. He is the guy who always has to throw for 300 yards to win a game.

You say that steve has won more in the playoffs. Ok but not so much more that it automatically makes him better or even as good. Steve mcnair has won 5 playoff games. 3 of those came in 1999. Hell that was so long ago you were probably still in diapers. In those 3 playoff wins vs buffalo, indy and jacksonville mcnair averaged 100 yards passing a game. Now i'm not saying that to knock him just to factually illustrate that he did not win those games all by himself.

Ok he won those games and played pretty good in a losing effort in the super bowl. But since then what have we done? We have only won 2 playoff games. We had two playoff loses where our offense only scored 10 points. 2000 ravens and 2003 pats. We had a playoff win(ravens 2003) where mcnair threw 3 ints. Come on!

Even if you wanted to argue that mcnair and manning were equals you would have to give a decisive edge to manning simply because he has never missed a game. Another problem with the manning vs mcnair debate is that steve was once a great runner. Now he isn't running hardly at all. Hasn't that fact diminished his value as a qB? :sad2:

10. Fine, I'll take Manning in the regular season and any other decent QB in the playoffs. Manning is a choker. He has never won the big game. On any level (well, maybe pee-wee).

He has proven it in the NFL playoffs over and over. He proved it at UT, over and over. And even in high school (I just read this fact), he lost just 5 games in his career, yet 3 of them came in the playoffs and he never won a state championship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar