McNair vs. Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by adamwinn51, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Ok all you who are proclaiming that VY is a failure and that there is no possible way he will be a successful quarterback. I think it is only fair to point out the early struggles Steve McNair had as a quarterback.

First, lets remember that McNair sat on the bench for the first two years. He had only 6 starts in these two years. So this means the team didn't even trust him to start in his first two seasons. If we could be patient with McNair (yeah, I know not everyone was at the time) on the bench, why can't we be patient with VY when he is struggling as a starter in the game . . . and by the way, have won with VY starting!

Now lets look at McNair's numbers in his third season--his first as starter.

Completion Percentage: 52%; TDs: 14; Ints: 13; Yards: 2665

Our record was 8-8, with no playoffs

Now if VY has a year like this his third year in the league, many of you will call him a failure. But as Steve McNair demonstrated, slow starts do not neccessarily lead to poor careers.

Everyone was complaining about McNair in his third year . . . and his fourth. It wasn't until his fifth season that fans really jumped on the McNair band wagon and that wasn't because his passing performance was that great (cp%, 56.5, TDs, 12 [in 11 starts], Ints 8, YDs 2179), but because he took us to the super bowl.

Can't we be patient with Vince and let him grow as a quarterback. Maybe he won't pan out, but we really won't know this until perhaps his fourth or fifth year. Again, look at the leaps and bounds that McNair improved in his 6th season! Let me point out, that we get to go through these VY growing pains with winning seasons. Yes, he has struggled, but he is fun to watch and he wins games! When McNair was having growing pains, we were 8-8 for three years, and we never made the playoffs. Lets get off VY's back and wait just a bit before we declare him a failure . . . and in the process, lets enjoy the success our team is having.

Ok, now all you VY haters, tell me why my comparison is not fair and why we shouldn't give VY time to developel like we gave McNair.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

We just broke the record for most threads mentioning VY. Congratulations everyone!:yay:

3. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Do I win anything for this? Just a little cash prize perhaps . . . ?

4. The Playmaker

I'm sorry we already gave all the money we have to bribe Reinfeldt to trade for Boldin.

5. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

At least it was put toward a good cause.

6. The Playmaker

I think were throwing our money away. At least it counts as charity when our taxes are due.:brow:

7. Chem

Chem Camp Fodder

Good post. Good points. I'm hoping VY is better than that, but if he's not, he still has a few years to grow.

Also our WR corps is still raw, young, and slow and butterfingery. Maybe next year we get a good WR in the draft or trade. That'll help.

8. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Most Tennessee fans I think forget about mcnairs first two years while he was in houston. Houston fans were more upset about mcnair than titans fans are about vince right now. Vince has a least shown flashes of good play, in mcnairs first 2 years he couldn't even get on the field.

9. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

adamwinn51,

I've been really down on Vince lately. I've been downright upset with him. Maybe I've been too harsh. Perhaps I've been unfair. My reaction is likely a product of inflated expectations. I am personally not dealing with the disappointment very well. Maybe this moment of insight stems from the fact I've had three pints of hefeweizen in the past hour, I don't know.

Good post. Thanks for the hope.

10. The Playmaker

I don't care if someone doesn't like VY it's the fact that it started after 2 seasons(1 he was hurt half the time) and a couple pre-season games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar