McNair vs. Young

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by adamwinn51, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

But after their 2nd season anyone would take VY. No ones saying he's amazing now and a sure fire thing to be a great passer. The VY supporters (which should be all titans fans) just try to explain that he will take more time. Another thing i'm confused about with some guys on here is they loved mcnair but when they talk about VY they talk about how he'll never win a super bowl for us so we need to get rid of him. Last time I checked no qb in franchise history has won a super bowl.

2. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

You are correct, sir! If you look at his throws that sail high, wide, behind the receiver, he is leaning backwards on every one. He had one throw from the pocket on Friday night that he stepped into - a perfect strike to Gage over the middle. Also, when he is on the run he usually makes a good throw, because he is forced to step into the throw. This is something that shouldn't be a problem in his 3rd season.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

McNair was known for passing when he came out of college... He wasn't called Steve "Air" McNair for nothin. He threw for a ton of yards his senior season at Alcorn State and was regarded as having a great arm.

I agree, we do need to be patient with him.... Is three years enough? If he shows an improvement this year I wouldn't have any problems with giving him more leash, but if he doesn't, then how long do you intend to give him the starting job without considering other options??

Hey, I seriously hope VY takes off this year and blows us all away... I don't have anything against him and I think we can win with him. I'm just not sure it will be with him being a passer. Personally, I don't care how we get the win as long as we win.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

If it takes VY 6 years to be a quality passer, that would've been too long in my opinion. I just think that's a long time to wait on dividends from the 3rd overall pick, when 4th rounders can come in and manage games just fine.

5. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

I think the amount of time we give Vince will have a lot to do with how well the team does. This affected how long Steve got. If we didn't make the playoffs in his fifth season, let alone go to the super bowl, he would have likely been out. I would say that Vince will likely get all the time he needs if this team keeps winning. If we don't make the playoffs this year or next and he hasn't improved, I would say lets move on. But I won't make a decision until after his fourth year. For me he has until then. Playoff success could certainly earn him more time.

6. NationofVols

NationofVols Camp Fodder

Comparing Vince Young to Steve McNair in any way, form, or fashion is like comparing your hand to a ******. Sure it feels good to get the "win", but you're doing it because you have to, not because it's the better alternative. lol The Titans didn't make the playoffs because of anything Vince did no more than the Ravens won a Super Bowl because of what Trent Dilfer did.

7. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Did any of you follow the Titans when they drafted Mcnair, and followed the Houston Oilers?? Again, like the OP stated that the VY comparison to Mac is how he struggled his first few years of his career as a passer, and how he later turned into a passing QB. DAMN...:rolleyes:

8. Torch7

Torch7 Camp Fodder

Division I-AA is a big jump to the league. But given that Steve had a "great" are coming into the NFL, he still struggled is the point.

Vince on the other hand was not known for his great arm in college, but he broke all kinds of passing records at U.T. which is a run first school. And ended the regular season with the highest Completion % as a junior. He was leap frogged during the bowl games.

So so far, in his career I would say that Vince is a bit ahead of Steve, because he is actually learning on the field instead of with a clip-board.

But if you look at the objectively side by side, there numbers are very similar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_McNair

9. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

McNair was the third overall pick, we waited on him, and we got an AFC Championship and a league MVP out of it.

But we should've cut him after three years...

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Wow that is scary similar to Vince's first year as a starter...maybe they really are related. Lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar