MEMBER OF THE WEEK 9-1: Ewker

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

music: classic rock, electronica, jazz, blues, some of todays music.
    I hate country music and rap

Bands: Beatles, James Gang, Led Zepplin, Jethro Tull, Yes, Doors, CSNY, Underworld, BT, Paul Van Dyk, GM Project, Filter, Nora Jones, Jack Johnson, Coldplay, Muddy Waters, Jimi Hendrix, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Warren Zevon, John Prine, Bob Dylan..as you can see a wide variety

songs: probably my all time favorite is When the Music's Over and The End by the Doors

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

If you had the opportunity to chill out & down a few with someone famous, who would you choose & why?

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

... waiting for Gunny to chime in on that one... :pop:

4. Ewker

Ewker Starter

It would be Earl Shaffer. Not everyone knows who he is.

He was the 1st person to thru-hike the AT back in 1948. He used worn boots, took his army rucksack and had no stove or tent.
    It took him 124 days to hike from Ga. to Me.

His 2nd time to thru-hike (1962) took 99 days and he hiked from Me to Ga. He became the first person to thru-hiked the in both directions

In 1998 at the age of 79 he thru-hiked it again for his 50th Anniversay of his first thru-hike. It took him 174 days this time. .

For his 50th Anniversary hike he used the same gear as he did the first time.

Quite an accomplishment to do that at the age of 79.

I only hope I am alive and kicking at 79 much less hiking 2100 miles

5. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Sounds like an interesting guy. Dang that's an impressive 'feet' :grrhee:

6. Ewker

Ewker Starter

:doh:

7. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

So what's a normal equipment list for a weekend hike? How light do you pack?

8. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Also, what would you say is the most interesting or surprising fact about you that no one on the forums would know about?

I ain't lettin' you off easy. haha.

9. Ewker

Ewker Starter

my big four items: tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and pack weigh in at 7 lbs.

I have 4 sleeping bags that range from a 50° to a -5° temp rating.
    I have 4 packs that weigh in as low as 20 ounces all the way up to 6 lbs.
    I choose between 4-5 shelters depending on where I am going.

I use a pepsi can stove to cook on (less than an ounce), I carry 6-8 ounces of denatured alcohol for fuel, one pot for boiling water, food usually avgs 1.5 to 2 lbs a day, sleeping clothes, first aid kit, headlamp, knife, toilet paper, rain gear, rope for hanging food, water filter, maps, compass, trekking poles and water bottles/platypus.

Total weight for an overnight trip can be between 18-25 lbs depending on weather. You carry more weight in the winter time.

When I did my AT section hike in April (66.6 miles in 5-1/2 days) I carried all of my food instead of resupplying..total weight for that trip 42 lbs. I had to carry winter clothes on that trip also. We had snow, ice, hail and some hot sunny days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar