Metro Courts to implement dress code

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdy_hitt

cdy_hitt Senior...

But I guess traffic court is way different than criminal court.

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

The problem is, justice isn't blind. It's almost impossible for it to be. Judges are called upon to use their intuition and experience, they are given discretion on many of their rulings for this reason. No matter who you are, your day in court should be one in which you show respect to that court. If you choose to act or dress inappropriately, it reflects on you, as it should, and the judge may factor that into their decision. I don't think they need a dress code, but sure, the judges can and should be able to use anything they perceive about a defendant in order to make rulings. Judges are the ones who decide who is likely to run if let out on bail, who is likely to be a future threat to their community, and who has their act together enough to be granted some leniency, and be given the benefit of the doubt that they made a mistake and have learned from it. Do you really think that the way someone dresses doesn't say anything about them that is relevant to those decisions?

I'm not saying that Judges can or should find someone to be guilty or innocent of crimes based on their clothes, but they make many other decisions.

I also think it's inappropriate to ban people from court if they aren't dressed according to a "dress code". However, if that dress code is very basic and only covers things that would mostly be inappropriate in public (see-through clothing, keep it at the after party), then I don't have much of a problem with it. Some people don't have ANY sense, and a base-line needs to be provided for them.

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

well said
    although I do not feel proper dress is a matter of the respect of the judge but more of a respect for the court and the law
    but c'mon, you have to be a liltte concrned for those wearing "I did it" and "don't believe a word I say" wife-beater T's

4. Sunshine

Sunshine Camp Fodder

Seems to me their lack of judgment in wearing such attire is a reflection of how they came to be there in the first place.

5. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

that's part of my point
    and reflects of their overall character

If i were on a jury and a defendant was wearing an "I did it" shirt and the plaintiff was dressed in a polo or button-down, I might lean a little towards the prosecution

conversely, if the defendant was dressed well and the plaintiff was wearing a "Don't believe a word I say shirt, I might lean towards the defense

Perception is in the eye of the beholder
    and first impressions carry a little weight

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Just make sure to wear your "white clothes" to court from here on. Maybe some Lacoste boating shoes, and a sweater vest.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Every girls crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man...

[​IMG]

8. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

You guys are mising the point, the judge is insisting on the people that come into the court room act in a respectful manner. It should be that way, the reason a great many young people wind up in front of a judge to begin with is a lack of respect for authority and basic civility. BTY, the juvy judge in my county has insisted upon this type of "dress code" for years now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar