Microsoft to offer SIX (6) versions of Vista ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

wouldn't less viruses have to do with your anti-virus program?

I use firefox as well.

2. maximus

maximus Starter

The reason Apple is opening up to "Non Mac" hardware is because the company that made the G4 processor(forgot the name of the company), refused to make a G5 processor for the iBook. Intel was willing to make processors for Macs and now the MacBook runs as much as 4x faster than a G4 book(says apple.com)

Windows is the more common operating system because the older macs werent as user friendly as the newer OSX macs. With the release of OSX, Macs became more user friendly.

My grandfather founded the computer science deptmartment at MTSU and knows computers, he told me that he would pick a Mac anyday over Windows. The only reason he has Windows is when he bought his current computer, the programs he needed were not made for Mac

3. The first full, final release came in March 2001.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I had a reason for asking that question, I just can't remember it.

5. In this case, it's a difference between Macs and PCs. Most Mac users today don't even use anti-virus software and there is no anti-spyware software that I'm aware of.

Currently, it isn't necessary. Not so say that that will always be the case...

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

well they said the PS2 was going to be un-pirateable. That changed. Things evolve no doubt.

But how does a Mac prevent hackers/viruses?

7. maximus

maximus Starter

Macs dont have as many holes in the operating system and currently only a small percentage of computers are running the Mac OS so hackers and virus writers want to effect a large amount so they dont worry with the Mac people.

8. Part of it is simply the fact that most malware writers want to hit as many people as possible. That means the Windows (with a 90%-95% marketshare) is the obvious choice to go after.

That having been said, OSX is also much more secure. You have to put in your password to install system software, so any virus or spyware would have to either find some way around that (it's possible) or convince people to authorize it's installation.

There was an article in Consumer reports nearly a year and a half ago saying there were roughly 60 Mac viruses compared to 60 thousand Windows viruses. A 1000:1 ratio hardly supports the idea that it's all about a 20:1 Windows to Mac ratio. So the added security of a Mac is a huge factor. In fact, the central selling point of Vista is supposed to be upgraded security, which is (among other things) taking up the password-requiring conventions of OSX.

9. Here's an interesting quote just this week from tech comlumnist Robert Cringely:
    http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060406.html

For what it's worth, he also predicts that Apple will turn around and start selling OSX CDs (with Boot Camp) that will run on basically any PC hardware.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Microsoft has all the money in the world and 60,000 plus employees and not one of them knows how to solve their security problem.

Maybe i'll apply for a job at Microsoft.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar