Microsoft to offer SIX (6) versions of Vista ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

This is reportedly part of Windows Vista if it ever gets released. You must be a local adiminstrator and enter your password.

2. Yeah, that should certainly help. And they are making IE7 a separate app rathing that having it integrated into the OS like IE6 is in XP.

3. Broken Record

Microsoft is obviously very concerned about Mozilla's recent surge because IE7 is stealing alot of things from Firefox like tab browsing, integrated popup blocker, etc.

Classic Microsoft thinking is that if they offer all the features of Firefox, folks will stop using it anyway.

I think I read somewhere last week that Vista has been pushed back to first quarter 2007 by the way.

4. They target whetever market they can hit, period. They know it's harder to hit OS X. You don't think that they would go after 15 million OS X users if they could???

For example, there was the Mac virus that spread via IM early this year that posed as a picture that was instead a trojan. You had to put in your password, yet some people were still fooled. Anyway, it was quickly coppied. The moral to the story is that people still will program viruses for Macs if they can simply find a security hole to breach. There just aren't many (known anyway) to exploit. There are tons in Windows...

And yet it happens anyway, doesn't it? I've seen explorer.exe infected and system files don't get any more critical...

Long story short, any time you can modify Windows to execute a virus or spyware on startup, it's critical. I don't care if you are modifying whatever you consider a "critical" system file or simply add a malware program to the startup list. Either way, it's a major security hole that isn't there in OS X.

Really? An inconvenience like having their computer bogged down by spyware? Or an inconvenience like having to reinstall Windows from scratch because it is so badly infected?

Non-critical files like what? The registry files??? The startup list??? Hey, who cares if stuff like that gets modified, right? What harm can that possibly do...

5. Yes, MS announced that about 2 weeks ago.

Apple's next OS upgrade (10.5 aka Leopard) is due about the same time, somewhere between the end of 2006 and early 2007. You know Apple would love to steal Microsoft's thunder by making it to market in time for the Christmas sales season.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

hell, actually ..... I agree with StarKiller 100%

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

geez, I go to work for a few days and look what happens

8. Broken Record

Yeah, I'm sure Apple would love to be able to get Leopard on the market prior to Christmas, particularly if Vista doesn't hit shelves until 07. The Christmas season is when a lot of home user sales happen and I think Mac has an opportunity to make a dent in the home user market more than business at this time.

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Apple needs to slow down with all these OSX upgrades
    before long, they'll start running out of cool cats to name them after.
    and i'm not quite sure how they'll market OS11 - to me OSX just sounds cool (and hopefully there wont be an OS11) OSX works just fine for me - I can't imagine what they'd do to revamp it

I'm gonna guess that OSX v.6 will be called Ocelot :ha:

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

:boom:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar