Microsoft to offer SIX (6) versions of Vista ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

dont use WMP either.

I have the most up-to-date version of QT. I download film trailers from official sites and all i get is a black screen. It is terrible.

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

that has nothing to do with QT

thats WIN and WMP and neat little registry blocks and certain things the msconfig might change

don't blast something just because you aren't bright enought to use it

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mac.html
    don't tell me you can't get more than a black screen from this site

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

then why does it sometimes work and most of the time doesnt?

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

There are a bunch of 'other' media players that work fine for me, I dont really use QT files anyway.

5. Sometimes you don't get a choice...

6. Only the French and the Polish mate, clueless weirdos

7. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Exactly, as time passes, nobody will need to understand computers. The real difference between generations is evidenced by the need for the next generation to know less and a rise in their need to be aware to things. Right now the biggest skill people need is the ability to find and sort through the information available. But even in the last two years that has been simplified with the browsers. So the skill set is even more diluted in that regard. Our kids won't need it. When we get to the point where information is fed to us in such a way that we don't have to search for it, all thinking should pretty much subside. There will never be the need to know anything, nor the need to find it. Hunting and gathering, done. And there is nothing wrong with that. It's evolution. But after that, what is next. We spent the first century evolving to survive. We spent the second century evolving to entertain ourselves. Now, what is next.

When you look at an x-box controller, you can sit there and think, damn, how did I get to the point where I have total contol over 8 buttons, two triggers, and three knobs simultanously. I was intiimdated by one button and one knob in 1980. Now look. It's not that I know how any of it works, it's my ability to process more and more information, and faster, that is important. That is the skill set now.

So, when I look at the 8 verisions of Microsoft out there. I don't worry about it. The skill set now is knowing which one to choose, and how to find it. But eventually I won't have to decide which one I need, the software will choose me. People won't need to know in the future. The question is, just how close are we to that. I think we are pretty close. Things like "My Yahoo" are only the first step toward toward information delivery.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I agree

Thrid Wave Toffeler stuff huh?

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

In virtually every case, Gunny, it's because Windows boxes are cheaper. No consideration is given to downtime due to viruses, crashes, tech support costs, etc, etc, etc. "$800 versus $1700? I'll take it!"
    I have constant barb battles with PC users in the recording world. All they talk about is price, and I get bashed for paying extra for a Mac. Invariably, the issue comes up because they are having trouble with file allocations, crashes, reboots, lost recordings, reformats, etc, etc, etc. They seem to have trouble associating downtime losses with the price of their systems. The end result is that their losses in billable hours FAR exceed the extra expense of a system that is much more stable to use.

And let's not forget MS's highly popular bait-and-switch tactics. I got my PC for a great price, only to learn later that I had to pay extra for the software that runs all the features that it claimed to have. Turned out not to be a bargain at all. I now have two great systems for media production, both at the same price; except one of them does nothing but take up space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar