Microsoft to offer SIX (6) versions of Vista ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Puck, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYTitansFan

NYTitansFan Guest

Windows Vista Security

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

---Of course, the security of the kernel is unproven and will remain so until the OS ships and is out "in the wild,"---

they're rebuilding the kernel ?
    sending driver ops to the user level ?

yeah,.... that'll work smoothly :kiss:

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Umm, Linux is free you know...

*Disclaimer: The following is based on Windows 2000 and beyond. And is a developers viewpoint based on working with said operating systems.

And for the thread in general. Linux and it's relatives are the superior OS's out there at the moment, however they suffer greatly from lack of support by 3rd party developers (most notably those in the Entertainment industry).

Windows is clearly the most popular and dominant. And for good reasons too. It has the flexibility to allow experts to do almost everything they can in Linux (but only almost), yet can also be used by relative newbies.

Mac just sucks. I've never seen an OS so restrictive and so focused on looking good rather than being easy and efficient to use. Oh and Mac is so good that Windows is being ported to Mac and not the other way around. The only place where Mac has a good foothold is with graphic designers using Adobe, Quark and the likes. All of which run perfectly fine in Windows.

I do agree with the stipulation that the majority of computer users are clueless, which is why so many complain about Windows being bad, when in reality they're at fault themselves. If these people were to try something as advanced as Linux, the suicide rate would explode...

The one big issue that Microsoft does have with Windows is their security. This is both due to Microsoft not always thinking before they act, but also because when a product occupies 90% of the market, it is also the primary target for hackers, scriptkiddies, etc.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

oh boy someone said a Mac sucks. Puck is on the prowl.

5. I completely disagree with his impression of the Mac. I doubt he has much recent experience with Macs at all...

6. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I would expect that opinion from a developer. As a general rule, I think end users like Macs, but developers really don't. They'd much rather tinker with open source.

When he says "focused on looking good rather than being easy and efficient to use" I think he probably means "focused on looking good rather than being easy and efficient to develop for"

7. Maybe, but I don't think any developer would be so technically illiterate to say that "Windows is being ported to Mac".

I'm sure there are many power users who don't like the Mac because they can't tinker as much as with Windows or Linux. But there is a lot more room than Vigsted obviously thinks because it's based on BSD Unix and anyone who knows what they are doing can go into the terminal and use text commands or run X11.

8. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Depends. There are alot of folks out there who fancy themselves as expert developers... and that's all I'll say about that:ha:

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

This is one of the most ignorant statements ever made in the history of ignorant statements

I'm not sure that OSX could be emulated on a WIN based PC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar