Might the Titans use Casey at the goal line?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titans Insider, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

Titans defensive tackle Jurrell Casey has been one of the team’s biggest impact players on defense.

If offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains gets his way, one day he might help the offense, too.

The 6-1, 305-pound Casey has been lobbying to get a carry near the goal line. Loggains said he’s actually approached coach Mike Munchak about the possibility of handing the ball to Casey for a potential score.

“I think he could definitely help in those short-yardage situations, in the mini-fridge – that’s what I call him is mini-fridge,’’ Loggains said with a smile. ”Maybe at some point in the season we’ll get to that.”

So far, Munchak hasn’t embraced the idea, however. He doesn’t like the idea of risking an injury to one of the team’s best defensive player. Casey has a team-high seven sacks.

Defensive coordinator Jerry Gray didn’t seem to mind when asked about it.

“I’ve seen Refrigerator Perry do it,’’ Gray said of former Bears defensive lineman William Perry. “When it’s time to win a football game, you never hold back on good football players. Deion Sanders used to play wide receiver….”

Gray even said Casey has shown good hands when he’s been thrown the football when the team has practiced indoors.

So which offensive players might Gray be interested in using on defense?

“You look at a guy like Kenny Britt with his range – I think you could probably put him at free safety,’’ Gray said. “I think Kendall could probably go out and play the slot, player corner.

“And you look at Fitz,’’ Gray said of Titans quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick. “He could probably play linebacker, but you don’t want to get him hurt. He is tough.”

Share on Facebook

Posted In: Team News, Training Camp

Source: Titans Insider

2. Titans Eternal

Titans Eternal Got the swagger of a cripple

lol

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

I see no problem in this at all. If he can drop back in coverage, there is nothing he can't do.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I wouldn't mind playing Britt at DT for a few plays.. get him pounded until he can't walk anymore.

• High Five High Five x 5
  5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Casey at RB would be hilarious haha. Fitz at LB may be even funnier though lol

6. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Maybe not to carry the ball but I wouldn't mind putting Casey back at FB and blocking for Greene at the goalline. Try stopping that train.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

Titans wont even pratice this stuff.

They 'hope with all their hearts' that just talking shinola about it will somehow get the ponies too pratice for a 'super tank' formation that dont exist. Then they all chuckle about how clever they are.

Meanwhile the ponies are actually praticing thir 6 OL formations and jamming the ball down the illpreparted Titans throats

it would be funny if it was not so pathetic

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Bostontitan

Bostontitan Starter

Im all for Casey on the line bulldozing a linemen or a Lb....

9. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

How bout this...

Casey and CJ split backs. Fake to casey, then flip it to cj sprinting for the corner.

Or fake to casey, fade to hunter.

Point being, if the "mini fridge" is in there, the defense is gonna bite on it, hard, so something else should catch them off guard.

Of course, any of this assumes we ever actually have a goalline play.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Yeah, why not? We already lost our QB for the year running an option play. Let's use our best defender on called runs too.

• High Five High Five x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar