Mike Munchak on 104.5

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SawdustMan, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Munch was interviewed on 104.5 a few minutes ago.

The summary/highlights:

- He knows he and the rest of the staff are on a "one year shot".
    - The coaching changes, or lack thereof, reflect that "one year shot" as they have to win now. He said he didn't feel like blowing it all up was the right move, although he did at least entertain the notion. Ultimately, he decided to stick with the guys he's "familiar with" and work on getting better. I think we all knew this was the case. But it's the first time I've heard him say it publicly.
    - Said he reached out to a few potential OC candidates but at the end of the day felt that Loggains was the man for the job. There was not a guy that made you go "Wow. We absolutely have to get this guy."
    - Said two other head coaches actually contacted him about interviewing Loggains. He didn't specify whether or not they were for coordinator positions, however. I kind of doubt it.
    - Said he fully expects the QB group to look exactly the same in 2013 (i.e. Locker, Hass, and the Rifle). They really like the group they have and believe in them. But "anything could happen in this league".
    - Said cutting CJ was never given any serious thought. He still believes CJ is a great weapon. He just needs better talent around him. They plan to "do some different things" with CJ next season.
    - Said Titans haven't focused on building the OL since 2005 when they "hit on 3 guys" in Roos, Stewart, and Loper. He said "That's the kind of draft we need to have this year". So it seems as if this could be an OL-heavy draft. Which I think we all agree is necessary.
    - Also he spoke at length about Gregg Williams but it was mostly uninteresting and not worth noting.

Munch really is such a likable guy. Shame he sucks so bad as a HC. But I'll be pulling for him and the team's success this year regardless. I give him props for finally admitting that OL is a huge problem that needs to be addressed IMMEDIATELY. And it'll be interesting to see what "different things" he has in mind for CJ.

• High Five High Five x 5
  2. Ghost

Ghost 3 Time US Navy 7th Fleet "Hogging" Champion

I hope the "different things" he has in mind is trading him rather than cutting...

I'm sorry but unless he renegotiates his contract, he is not worth the cap hit this season.

3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Oh that reminds me, one other thing I forgot to mention. He said they plan to be "very aggressive" with contracts and potentially re-working some deals. I don't think he was talking about CJ (getting too late to avoid that 9 million anyway). But perhaps he was talking about Hass, Amano, etc.

4. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Wish I had heard it but sounds like an interview I would love.

Surprised he would be so open about the O-line, I figured they would deny everything about O-line needs as a smoke screen for draft day.

5. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Yeah I was surprised too. I mean he obviously didn't flat out say they sucked. But he made comments here and there. "CJ just needs better talent around him"... "We need another draft like '05", etc.

It'll probably be streaming on 104.5's site at some point.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

Also, he was asked a few questions about Locker. 1) Does he buy into the theory that his future as HC is in Jake Locker's hands, and 2) Was he surprised that Locker didn't play better in 2012?

He pretty much dodged both questions with politically correct answers. They believe in Locker. He's not making excuses BUT there was the injury. That kind of stuff.

7. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

The thing I like most about Munchak is that he is very sincere and honest about what he says. I always hated Fisherspeak.

I like to hear that he at least now is admitting that the OL was weak and needs to get better to help CJ. I hope that they don't just rely on the draft to get OL help though, I hope that we try to get Levitre and or Vasquez.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

was he honest and sincere in 2011 when he refused too bench EA? Honest and sincere when he said the OL was fine after w1, w2, w3 ..... all of 2012?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Obie09

Obie09 Pro Bowler

At least now he just admitted that we've neglected the o-line in the draft for nearly a decade. That alone is enough to show his and the FO's incompetence.

10. SlidePiece

SlidePiece Starter

The best part about our coach thus far is him acknowledging that we are bad.........babysteps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar