Missing pieces of the puzzle

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Dec 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

more on WR

I'll qualify this statement before it's made .....
    ~I originally did not like the idea of taking a WR early .....until it looked like another top 5 pick = enter Calvin Johnson . .like another poster said "if they wanna go up and get him, I won't stop them". a good WR can make a bad offense / qb look great. not to say we have either, but they could both use some help and would both benefit from having a capable show-stopping WR
    --- now, being as it looks like we may pick mid-late first (please late!) and if Ginn were still on board, then I wouldn't be mad then either
    ---- and I'm not to sure how a vet FA receiver would pan out as we have not had any luck there

you'd have the makings of a balanced team with stars at all positions

in fact, we already have most of them in place
    here are my "stars" :
    QB - Vince
    RB - Travis / Lendale
    WR - ? ? ? (back to this in a minute)
    OL - Roos
    DL - KVB
    LB - Bulluck
    CB - Jones
    S - Hope

WR is the one position where I think there's the largest gap
    >>>so far most of these posts are targetting areas where there's already a cornerstone in place ..... except for receiver

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

more on DE

as far as DE is concerned, I'm not sure how much that would help (as things are now). I just don't see the Line 'trying' to get much of a push. it's almost as if they're playing a contain instead of a rush

what would help the line is a better secondary
    this is where I think we should hit FA AND the draft early and hard
    I'd guess that one of the reasons why the sacks aren't coming is because of breakdowns in coverage - allowing the QB to get the ball out quicker

add us another CB and S and we'd be knocking down QB's like dominoes. think of KVB last year ..... who else was playing well ? Hill. Now to this year. any connection ?

3. TWR#1

TWR#1 Guest

Amobi OKoye....The kid has talent.He's a pass rusher and a run stuffer.He is a much better prospect than AH was coming out,and has a non-stop motor,and actually plays to his potential.He would do wonders for this run D,and put some much needed added pressure on the QB,which in affect would help out the secondary which only seems to be improving together each week.I'd still put Fuller or Lowry over LT next year though.

Games are won in the trenches,and we've seemed to found or OLine,and now we can improve our Dline greatly.

It wouldnt hurt to add a run stopper DE,but Travis LaBoy has been playing phenominal here lately and Sean Conover has been very good on running downs,and we still have Tony Brown,Antwan Odom,and Rien Long(DT/DE) but 2 of those are FA's,I think Brown will be back though.

Next i think we upgrade our WR core somehow...In round 2 we go WR..someone for VY to throw too...Tall and athletic...

They always say you build your team through the draft,and add some pieces here and there through FA.

But a DLine with KVB Okoye Haynesworth and LaBoy seems very doable.And with Tulloch Thornton and Bulluck roaming around at LB,things could be great for our front 7 next year.

4. adding a DE first would only hurt us. We have 2 weak spots in our Secondary at the moment and it seems all a qb has to do is take 3 steps back and BAM! Ball Caught! First Down! :ha:

Lets take care of the secondary first

5. TWR#1

TWR#1 Guest

Mine was actually a DT,and you obviously didnt watch the last couple of games,especially last week...Garrard was harrassed all day...if he wasnt so big and strong there would of been alot less completition.When your QB can run around behind the LOS,it makes it so tough on the CB to stay with the WR the whole time,especially in zones.Games are won in the trenches,and our pass D is bviously much better than our run D,so therefore we should fix that 1st.And we wont draft a S,unless its absolutley BPA,its just not Floyds MO...He drafts in bunches and the last 2 years we've taken 3 S's.They really like Fuller and Lowry.finnegan has been very impressive,but I'd rather keep him at NB where he's best.Hill's play has improved greatly,and he coaching staff has trust and confidence in the guy,but i still think we will add a CB somewhere in FA or draft.I think adding a top-tier DT through the draft would be a great success,but of course it depends whose there,and whose not there when we pick.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Obviously ... really ?
    I'd say our secondary is weaker than our front
    then again it could always be the scheme - which sux

7. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

So how do you explain Garrard having 15 seconds before he threw the ball? I know he's big and strong, but that's ridiculous.

8. Nash

Nash Starter

other than Tank Wms, who has Floyd drafted on Day 1 at safety.. Aric Morris was a 4th rounder if my memory is correct, my point is the draft strategy has been to spend the bucks at DE, OLB, and CB, all outside players...it will be interesting to see if we pay the DT' s or not... and I wouldn't hold my breath on a safety...

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

how do you explain that this line was getting a fair share of pressure last year ? it's essentialy the same (rotation).
    my guess is the lack of blitzing is not helping

10. Bobo

Bobo Guest

It seems like we've blitzed less this year, but I could be wrong. You'd think with the CB's in their 2nd year and the addition of Hope, we'd feel more comfortable to blitz. Thorton seems like a good blitzer, but hasn't done it much. Maybe the shoulder thing kinda hurt his chances at doing that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar