Mock accuracy..............

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by bongo59, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

2. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

That's Gosselin's 2005 draft, not 2006. In 2005, Gosselin got nine right (direct hits) in the first round - Smith, Brown, Edwards, Williamson, M Jones, Clayton, Washington, Campbell, Miller.

2006 was another story. Here's his mock the day before the '06 draft: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../stories/041606dnsponflmockdraft.1e330dc.html

Gosselin got six right last year - Hawk, Davis, Greenway, Cromartie, Hali, and Addai.

In reviewing various mock drafts last year, Mike Mayock (nfl.com) had the best one. Mayock got eleven right last year - Young, Ferguson, Hawk, Davis, Huff, Whitner, Leinart, Cutler, Ngata, Greenway, and D Williams. http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9403416

Note: I only considered mocks before the Texans' Mario instead of Bush announcement. You'd be surprised by the number of arses who "revised" their mocks after that announcement, just to make their predictions look better. I also compared the draft position, not the team. For example, Mayock and three others got credit for predicting Cutler would be picked eleventh, although it was by the Broncos and not the Rams, due to one of several draft day trades which can't be predicted.

Here's how the others fared, with the number of direct hits:
    CBS (Dodd), 6
    CBS (Judge), 9
    CBS (Prisco), 6
    ESPN, 6
    Fox Sports, 8
    nfl.com (Kirwan), 5
    nfl.com (Carucci), 2
    SI.com (Banks), 10
    SI.com (King), 4
    About.com, 6
    AOL/NFLDraftScout.com, 7
    Consensus Draft Services, 6
    D & J NFL Mock Draft, 4
    DraftAce.com, 6
    DraftBoardInsider.com, 4
    DraftDaddy.com, 5
    DraftKing.com, 5
    FantasySharks.com, 4
    FFToolbox.com, 2
    FantasyTailgate.com, 3
    FootballMinds.com, 5
    Great Blue North, 5
    Huddle Report (Jones), 7
    DraftConnection.com, 2
    NFLSmackdown.com, 4
    NFLMockDraft.us, 2
    SportsOutlaw.com, 4
    VIPSports.com, 4
    Yahoo Sports, 7

3. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

mayock also called aaron rogers to the packers in '05.

4. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

Bongo, did you just pull the figure 88% out of your ***? He must have done very well in 04 if he averaged 88% over the last three years. 9 right in 05 and 6 right in 06? Not that impressive. I bet I could get 5 right this year and I don't really know jack about the players.

5. A.D.

The 88% he refers to is computed like this. If 27 players of the 32 Gosselin predicted as first-round picks were actually first-round picks, then he would have an 84% "success" rate for that year. I personally don't think that's a real barometer of accuracy when a writer is given credit for "correctly" predicting someone to be drafted #10 if they actually get drafted 24th.

There's no doubt Gosselin is good, it's just that he didn't do quite as well in '06 as in '05.

And I believe Bongo, myself, and half the members of this site could correctly predict over 80% of the first-round picks, if you don't consider what position the players are actually selected in.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Anyone wanna go back and check out the goTitans.com mock? That could be ugly.

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yeah, do it Jeff

8. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

actually I did that this morning, a few people called Woolfolk in the 2003 NFL Draft...

9. A.D.

Comparing the goTitans predictions with the actual results, goTitans correctly predicted Young at #3 and Ferguson at #4, for two direct hits. 25 of the 32 first-round projections by goTitans were actually selected in the first round, a 78% "success" rate.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

We projected for the Titans Woolfolk in '03 and Antwan Odom in '04. I think had Rolle in '05.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar