More Bad Rule Changes.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Fry, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

I thought chop blocks were illegal already.

From my understanding a chop block is diving low on a player that is already engaged with another player. That was already banned. So what are they banning now?

*tried to find an explanation but didn't come up with much besides "chop blocks could still be used during certain situations" the last few years.

Knowing the stupid NFL rules it is probably something like "Chop blocks are permitted by a team who's sock color had changed from their previous games. Color combinations worn during consecutive games eliminate a teams players from chop blocking opposing teams linemen. Also, the left sock must remain in a fixed position at all times. Any player caught adjusting the left sock will be fined and a penalty will be enforced upon kickoff during the second half. If the penalty occurs during the second half of the game, the players team forfeits their rights to any Gatorade purchased by The National Football League also the next offensive possession the first catch will be ruled an incompletion because we have no idea what a catch is or isn't."

#41 Mitch86, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    • LOL LOL x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

No it isn't. Zone offenses intend to create lanes by making the defense flow. If you cut or chop you're effectively taking away potential lanes. If you cut on a zone play it's because you can't block it properly (generally the cutblock is a last resort, except on some screens and quick passing).

Also I wonder how many still get cutblocks and chopblocks confused. Chopblocks definitely should be illegal, because the defender has no way of protecting himself. Cutblock are still perfectly fine.

3. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I'm a bit confused on this as well. I know the high-low block (when a rusher is already engaged by a blocker up high, and a second blocker comes in and cuts/chops w.e his legs out from under him) were already illegal. I really hope they aren't taking away all blocking below the waist - as many RBs rely on this in pass pro. Below the waist blocks are often seen during INT returns also.

4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

yes. Chop Block is a 2 man thing.. one person has him up high, another cuts out his legs. It was ALREADY illegal.. Cut blocks are one man dives at his legs.

So.. are they eliminating cut blocks... or else, WTF are they even talking about??

All being summed up.. more NFL nonsense, move along, nothing to see here. what a laughing stock this league is becoming.

5. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

From what I've read, chop blocks weren't illegal. They could be used in "certain situations". What those situations were and why they were allowed in one situation and not others, I have no idea. I just know they've been saying chop blocks were illegal and now all the sudden they're illegal again. Lol

6. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Chop blocks were allowed on certain run blocks. Now they're always illegal.

RBs and Ts can still cut block as long as the defender is not previously engaged.

7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

that was news to me.. Can't imagine one scenario in which a chop block should be legal.

8. Wraith

Wraith Starter

I think it might have been in there to avoid a penalty for when a player was cut blocking one guy but doing so took him into an engaged defender on a draw play or something along those lines, it was allowed in only a few very specific situations if i understand correctly

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Touchbacks will officially move the ball to the 25. I'm telling you guys, good kickers are going to be dropping these things inside the ten with about seven seconds of hang time. There will be more collisions and worse field position because of it.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

No doubt. But I'm betting more fair catches will be made on KO's. I don't think they are going to achieve their goal of enticing players not to run.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar