More on White, run game from Fisher

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky NASHVILLE, Tenn. - After expressing frustration in angry comments after the loss to the Jets to ESPN.com and Knoxville's NBC affiliate, LenDale White apparently felt some regret and sought out coach Jeff Fisher.

Fisher told the AFC South Blog Sunday evening that the two had spoken before White left LP Field and there was no lingering issue. (See that entry from Sunday here.)

At his Monday press conference, Fisher fleshed things out a little more, but declined to discuss whether he had instructed his running backs coach to throw to his backs after a few drops or if there had been any altercation at the bench.

"I'm a little disappointed that he expressed himself -- as they are entitled to do at his frustration, the loss and those kinds of things -- before he came to me," Fisher said. "He came to me after he visited with you people and we got things settled and we've move on. There is an element of frustration when you are losing and not playing...

Here's the rest of that piece of the press conference:

What did he voice to you?

"We have cleared the air, we have an understanding, and again, it's not the first time we've had a player frustrated over something, not only frustrated over something that happened in the ball game, because we all were, but also slightly, I think, regretful, for speaking his opinion in the timing and the manner in which he did. Having had the opportunity to think about it, he regrets what he did. Obviously he puts the team first and just was frustrated.

I know yesterday the circumstances dictated it, but why has he not been used more, there have been several games this year?

"It's the different things we're seeing defensively. The thought that we may be able to attack a defense a little differently, more on the perimeter rather than the inside running game. But it's clearly now at this point in the season that one of the things we need to do it get back to that, it's time now to get back to the running game. Look back at what we've done on Thursdays in short weeks, it's no secret, that's what Detroit is going to try to do also, but you have to establish the run."

After his drop and Johnson's drop, did you ask Ernest Byner to throw to them on the sideline?

"You know, I'm not going to go into specifics as to what I asked and what I didn't ask. Those are scheme things, those are competitive issues."

Was their some sort of altercation or exchange between White and coach Byner?

"There was stuff that took place on the sideline yeah, it's over, everything's fine."
    Will he be disciplined for what he did?

"I'm not going to comment any further on it. I'll say it's behind us and we're moving on."

Do you plan on playing him Thursday?

"I would say there is a probably a pretty good chance, yeah."

Re-establishing the run should be priority one for the offense Thursday in Detroit, and while Fisher spent some time pumping up the winless Lions and their run defense, it should prove good medicine for the Titans to figure out the one-two punch with Johnson and White.

Detroit is dead last in the league against the run, allowing an average of 166.7 yards a game and 4.9 yards per carry.

Through the first half of the season, Johnson averaged 5.3 yards a carry. In the three games since, that's dipped to 3.8. It seems like he's been staying inside more and heading outside, where he's been better able to use his speed, less.

"Chris is playing well, as a young player as a first-year player he's not tiring out, he's not wearing down," Fisher said. "We have to re-establish, however, the running portion of our offense."

More...

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

Fisher's ability to shuts down trouble amazes me sometimes. I think we can expect good things out of LenDale.

3. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

If Madden is handing out turkey legs again this season I would expect to see he preform on Offense, Defense and ST's. Then voice his dissapproval that the gravy boat is not actually a boat.

4. Fisher cut this one off quickly as has become his style after the learning experience with Adam Jones. He has become the elite team manager. And as stated by Bipolar, I also believe we'll see a turnaround with LenDale. 'Still wish he could have White drop a few pounds though; ten or fifteen less would make such a difference without losing the punch. He might dance better too...

5. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

and that's only cause he wanted a boat full of gravy too himself, probably what set him off in Denver. I figure it was that or someone bogarting a butter bowl

6. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Fish is definitely smooth and also a player's coach. I hope this has no lingering effects, and I don't think it will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar