Most important group in your opinion

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Apr 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xhrr

xhrr Starter

D and O line for sure.

2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

OL and DL. Then QB.

As a singular position, QB is the most important, but group-wise you've gotta go with OL and DL.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

I do agree that the lines are paramount but for the sake of mixing it up i'll say an elite LB corps can do a lot for a team. Big, strong, fast linebackers who tackle well and can rush the passer have the potential to affect the defense in more ways than DLs and even DBs can. They can create pressure if the line lacks that ability and if they're good block shedders can cover up the inadequacies of a line that can't stuff the run. They can also really help in taking away easy throws to slots and RBs. I'm thinking of LBs in the mold of Von Miller, Clay Matthews etc. Of course having a Patrick Willis or vintage Ray Lewis in the middle is a must.

4. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Since QB is a single player, thats out the window, and we seem to all say O-Line, then D-Line, then would it be LB's or WR's? It's sure as hell not DB's or RB's, or is it?

I think you can get by with anybody at RB so long as you have a respectable passing game.

5. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

I'd take a nasty set of LBs over a nasty set of DBs. Great play by the front 7 will make your secondary much better, while the opposite isn't as true.

I think I'd also take a great RB over one or two really good WRs.. You don't want to be like Green Bay with absolute crap at RB that can't do anything, even with Aaron Rogers and all of those receiving weapons. I'd rather have a guy who can get me 4-5 yards a pop on the ground, who fights and gets those extra yards, keeping the down and distance manageable. Remember the Titans in 1999 and 2008? We had no receivers, but great running back play, along with the great D-line and LB play.

So LBs > CBs?
    RBs > WRs?

6. JCBRAVE

It's just that it's harder to find a good receiver than it is to find a good RB, RB's grow on trees, you saw that thread I made about the next great RB right? We could do the same for WR and watch us have half the names.

7. UrbanLegend3

UrbanLegend3 Pro Bowler

hmm, idk about half, lots of good up and coming receivers in the league right now.

8. RockyTop Fox

RockyTop Fox Offensive Coordinator

Receivers might be a bit harder to find, but the position may also be a bit less important as well. RBs are a dime a dozen, but some teams still struggle to find a good franchise RB.

Teams that lack a solid RB:
    Miami, New York Jets, Indianapolis, ****tsburgh, Cincinnati, Denver, Green Bay, Arizona, St. Louis.

That's over a fourth of the league, and you could argue for some additional teams to be put on there, like Detroit, New England, Giants, or basically any team that has less-than-desirable RB play.. which would be almost half the league.

Ask those guys about how running backs grow on trees, they experience relatively weak RB play week in and week out. Now an incompetent O-line could be to blame, but even teams that have solid O-lines can struggle to have good run games. Look at a team like Green Bay.. Good O-line, amazing vertical passing game, absolute God-awful run game.

9. JCBRAVE

10. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

if you have to choose only one position to be great in the NFL, it's gotta be QB. With a good QB and an average OL, you can be great.

OL is important. Not so much one position of it, but the unit of 5 has to be solid. Having Bruce Matthews in his prime and everyone else be the 2012 Titans OL, the OL would still be bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar