Movie Review: There's 3 Hours I'll Never Get Back

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by avvie, Dec 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

If you want to save money on an Eric Johnson concert, get a cardboard cutout of him and stand it in your room. Likewise, if you want to save some theater dollars, get a cutout of Matt Damon.

If you like movies where the lead man stands around looking serious and speaks a line or two once every ten minutes while nothing happens around him, "The Good Shepherd" is the film for you.

Everyone whispers. Everyone is serious. And everyone is consistently wrong, which may be the only high point of the film.

Damon is a mirthless, stoic FBI agent in 1961 pedigreed by the Skull-And-Bones Society at Yale University in 1944. Later he is given a position in the CIA after it is officially formed. A few people die who might be spies, and a couple die who are. Matt stares forward, unblinking, being serious and stoic. This statue routine is quite a hit with the ladies (though it doesn't work for me), and it wins him an impromptu bones-jumping by Angelina Jolie. Damon also displays his fine acting skills by walking and wearing clothes...including a derby and birth control glasses. In one scene--which is destined to be an Oscar Clip--Damon is presented nude from the chest up covered in mud and birth control glasses. The director's imagination is astounding.

So save your holiday movie dollars, spend them better on cuticle frames and shinbone polish. If you're a true masochist, wait for the video to see "The Good Shepherd", or, "Why Matthew Doesn't Blink".

2. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

'birth control glasses'

:biglaugh:

3. I must agree with avvie. I saw this last night and it was incredibly dull.

It might make a good book (is it a book?), but it makes a poor movie. Basically it has a lot of really good actors doing very little. There is no action. The intrigue isn't particularly intriguing. It's about the CIA and there's no action or intrigue?

:sleepy:

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Too long, undoubtibly too tedious to really enjoy. The fact that DeNiro directed this (a fav. actor of mine) doesn't shock me; he's legendary for this type of product behind the camera. Like Star said, it's really disapointing because so many great actors are in this, and they aren't challenged in the least in this.

5. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

And to that reviewer who was implying that Damon is a bad actor, I guess he's never seen The Departed, which came out this year and is the movie of the year as well. :sad2:

6. avvie

I haven't seen enough Damon films to honestly rate him as an actor (though I'm sure he's no Brad Pitt, Edward Norton or Johnny Depp), but it wouldn't matter with this film because the screenplay is so bad. Like Star pointed out, there is no intrigue. Nothing happens. There's no plot. There's no climax. It's a character study of someone with no character.

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I like Damon as an actor.

Bourne - not that he does much
    Departed
    Good Will Hunting

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

He has a good part in the Oceans films too

9. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Damon has been decent, he just hasn't stretched himself. If you can carry a movie like Good Will hunting, Rounders, and Bourne Identity twice, you've got something. He just needs to take it another level. The person who deserves credit, but gets none, is Stallone. He's challenged himself on numerous occasions. Fails sometimes, but for Rocky alone, he has established himself in my mind as near the top. Plus he can carry an action movie too. And has some comedic timing like in Tango and Cash.

10. avvie

If it's any consolation to you all, Damon does a fantastic job of acting as a coatrack in this movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar